More pics of the mystery Black Copper marans...and others.male or fem?

mags2009

Songster
13 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Wisconsin
Hi. I posted last week about these two birds. They were fertile hatching eggs marked as Black Copper Marans. They are more feathered out this week, so thought I would give another try to anyone to see what they might be. I did get out of 6 eggs two TRUE black coppers, and 2 of these mysteries. I would like to know also what the white ameracauna is, it was supposed to be Blue ameracauna, but she did say some could be black ,and some could be splash. Don't know if this is a spash or not. The others I would like to know if roo or hen. Thanks again.
This is a pic of one of the mysteries...also looks like a rooster? #1:
38676_garden_and_chicks_045.jpg
Here is another pic of this one:
38676_garden_and_chicks_046.jpg
Here is pic of the other # 2 I think might be pullet:
38676_garden_and_chicks_048.jpg
Here is my one and only Welsummer #3. Pullet?
38676_garden_and_chicks_067.jpg
The next is one of the TRUE Black Copper Marans. # 4 Roo?
38676_garden_and_chicks_068.jpg
This is one of the Blue Ameracaunas, but is white. Is this a splash? Also, can you tell pullet or roo? #5:
38676_garden_and_chicks_039.jpg
And finally, #6, this is our other TRUE Black Copper Maran that I think might be a pullet?
38676_garden_and_chicks_049.jpg

Thanks everyone. I just can't figure out what those first two could be. They do have feathered feet, and the eggs were really dark. Thanks.

Your mystery BCMs are mossy... It happens some in BCMs. It is an undesirable trait in show but some folks swear the mossys lay the darkest eggs.

Last edited:
Your Ameraucana looks like it could be splash but as far as male/female, it is really too hard to tell that young unless a male is blatantly obvious.
And skipping the Am my guess is boy, girl, girl, boy, and may be boy or girl.

I had heard the term "mossy" last week, but one member said they were surely NOT Black Copper Marans. So, any other thoughts? Are other members sure of MOSSY? Or do they happen to look like something else! Thanks for all replies!

Quote:
If you are still unsure then the best thing to do would be to post these on the Marans thread in the " genetics, show,..." pages... There are lots of folks there that can tell you if it is mossiness or what... My mossys markings weren't quite as strong as yours but this is what she looked like early on and again a couple of weeks ago.
photo-121.jpg

the mossy is the first BCM closest to the camera facing the barred Cochin bantam.
photo5-2.jpg

here's another pic of one mossy to the right of the barred one and the other is two up from the barred one
photo-188.jpg

No problem
smile.png
there is a lot of great folks in that Marans thread tho that have been raising them for years and are very experienced... That is where I inquired when my mossys started to feather in wierd. Can't remember who it was that I PM'd off that thread right now... I just picked one that messages a bunch on there with helpful info.

Back
Top Bottom