More pictures of questionable feral lord knows what...

Vcomb

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
South Dakota
My Coop
depending on where you live I'd say that hen has some game blood in her. she may be a key west chicken if you're down there. other then that some feral game or game cross.

Sanderlina

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
But we're fairly sure she's a hen, right? Because she keeps crowing in between little tweety noises.

Go figure the feral chicken is a bit of a cross-dresser...

luvmychicknkids

Canning Squirrel
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Floresville, Texas
I know absolutely nothing about the game breeds, but I do know some breeds the roosters are what they call "hen feathered". If I just saw that face I would say definite rooster. Maybe someone who knows these breeds better can tell you.

Vcomb

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
South Dakota
My Coop
yep its a hen. hens crowing or hens with spurs are not that uncommon in birds with game ancestry. by her comb she is not a junglefowl though, that and the fact that if you're in the U.S. feral populations of red junglefowl are not exactly common...

Sonoran Silkies

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Tempe, Arizona
Definitely game something or other; definitely a hen. Hens do occasionally crow--some regularly, some occasionally. I used to have a silkie hen that crowed now and again. I know someone with a campine hen who crows regularly--usually just after she lays an egg!

Any breed could escape and become feral--my understanding is that that is how the Key West and Kauai wild chickens began.

I don't even know what kind of comb that is--definitely a bit different

Top Bottom