More protein in their diet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by spies04, Jul 19, 2011.

1. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hi -- My kids recently showed our Buff Orphingtons and Silver Laced Wyandottes. The judge commented that they need to be a bit fuller and we should increase the protein in their diet. In looking at the layers that I am feeding and the available brands, it appears to be 18 to 20%. How can I increase their protein past that?

thanks!!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'm not altogether sure you can/should. 18-20% protein is pretty high already. You might want to get another opinion from another successful show person.

3. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Is there a way to fill them out more then? They felt they were a little small or thin.

4. txreddirtgirl

txreddirtgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    I've heard cat food has a higher protein level. I read on here where some people were supplementing with that.

5. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Fred's right about not going overboard on the protein.

You may want to try mealworms as treats. About 56% protein in them, but don't overdo it! Game bird feed is higher in protein and Manna makes a conditioner that's around 22%. UltraKibble is 32.25%. Just be careful not to use over 10% of their ration with the high protein supplements.

6. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe that judge is just used to looking at "steroid chickens"

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    it appears to be 18 to 20%

What do you mean 18 to 20? Is it Crude Protein, min. 18% or Crude Protein, min. 20%
    When was the last time you wormed your birds, how much are you feeding them, are you feeding other stuff other than there main poultry feed and if so what is it and how much?

Chris​

8. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Maybe a hard boiled egg or two would do it. However I do have an odd thought. We are having one heck of a heat spell right now so maybe they aren't eating as much. Mine seem to eating plenty but it's my first summer with chickens so I can't guess what's normal. None of them are real plump. But the barred rock and wyandottes seem to have a rounder body to them than the EE's and RIR's do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by