1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

More questions about my chick, this time with pics!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KentuckyChick, Aug 5, 2010.

1. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chirping

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Okay, yesterday I posted about my chick's protruding vent. I clipped the hair around the vent. She's staying oily because of the Preparation H, but I've been applying it twice a day. I had her isolated, but she was very unhappy. She had been laying near one of the EE's since she came. So while we ran to Lowe's, I let her in with the other chicks. Well, she's isolated until further notice. This is what her neck looks like:

[​IMG]

Under wing

[​IMG]

Her vent pretty much still looks the same.

[​IMG]

Is there anything else I can be doing that I'm not??

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010

2. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    The vent looks kinda normal to me. [​IMG] Was she pasting up?

Is she having trouble with her neck? The spot under her wing?

I wouldn't isolate her unless the others are picking on her (or you suspect something contagious).

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I didn't read your other post, so i'm not sure what you think the problem might be. From the pictures alone, i wouldn't be concerned. [​IMG]

4. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chirping

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    It's obvious in the second pic that this chick's vent is protruding. It's NOT normal.

5. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I'm not sure that there is much you can do. Does she seem bothered by this? Is she eating/drinking/pooping? Chirping unhappily? I agree with Speckled Hen that it looks herniated rather than prolapsed.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  6. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chirping

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    It's not prolapsed. It's protruding.

7. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Songster

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Is the chick eating, drinking and passing poop?
    What are you using for bedding? Sometimes they eat the bedding and it can cause them to have troubles. If that is the case you can sprinkle some sand on the food or place it separately (not too much). I am not sure if its a prolapse or the chick was born with the problem. It doesn't look red but the Preparation H is an anti-inflammatory so it may have caused the redness to subside.

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Did they peck at this chick at the bare spot on the neck? If so, i would suggest getting a blue kote product to spray on it. I have had a lot of success with blue kote type spray on chicks pecking. It's a great product. After it dries, you can let him in with the rest of the chicks again.

As to the protruding vent, is it impeding his functions?

If it isn't, honestly, i would just keep an eye on the little guy and see how he does. He might just be a little different.

9. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chirping

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:Thank you for your help. I have parakeet grit I can sprinkle. I have been using pine shavings. Until yesterday I had them covered with puppy pads, but it didn't stop them from getting pine shavings on them. (This new group is a bunch of kickers!) She's laying around a bit, but walks fine, and since I've isolated her, I've noticed she's eating and pooping fine. It does look a tiny bit better than it did yesterday. The bald areas are very new, under her wing and around her neck.

I am new at this, so I know I'm panicking a bit, but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can. I went to TSC today and read through every book they had, but there wasn't any information about this.

10. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    I've got a chick with the same thing happening! Wondering if it is in fact normal...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by