More reason to produce your own food.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 1acrefarm, Jun 10, 2008.

1. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
  2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

That makes me sick. I've bought that for months, thinking it was save....

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    It is a matter of rules and regulations and how these big food industries try getting around the wording. Notice what Tyson said:

Tyson spokesman Gary Mickelson said the company used gentamicin during egg vaccinations, before the birth of a chicken. Mickelson described the vaccinations as a standard practice, as rules on labels describing how birds are "raised" typically start from the second day of life.

Because it was before hatch, they tried to get away with it. This will keep happening, and we, the consumers, have to get smarter about it. Just because they say it is safe doesn't mean it is. This is why I don't use fluoride, sun screen, etc.

Yes, raise your own. Please people, raise your own.​

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Got a garden going this year and the chickens are laying and a small farm cow in the freezer where set for a while

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

One of the books I'm reading now is called:"The Killers Within, The Deadly Rise of Drug Resistant Bacteria"...
    One of the chapters mention Germany and how Enterococcus became resistant to Vancomycin which was supposed to be the beat all end all of antibiotics because they were using something very similar in their food animals to make them grow faster and larger...

6. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Because it was before hatch, they tried to get away with it. This will keep happening, and we, the consumers, have to get smarter about it. Just because they say it is safe doesn't mean it is. This is why I don't use fluoride, sun screen, etc.

Yes, raise your own. Please people, raise your own.

It also speaks of them using ionophores in the feed. It goes beyond the second day.

7. funkychicken

funkychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    East Texas
    and people wonder why us "freaks" go organic at every possible option...I honestly wonder if that stuff (and a lot of other food additave..sorry spelling.. practices) are not population controll and help fuel the medical industry...just a thought:mad:

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    It is a valid thought. When so few big corporations make/grow so many of the items we use daily, we are just asking for trouble. It is like the oil industry in bed with the government... not a conspiracy, but the truth!

Let's all just go back to riding horses [​IMG]

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Regardless of any possible threat to humans, the use of prophylactic antibiotics poses a very real threat to livestock populations outside of the industrial farming machine. Here in W. GA there are more than a couple of heavy duty chicken farms. Pilgrim's Pride has a large processing facility here. When they transport the chickens from the farms to the plant, they always lose a couple of them. You know it's chicken day when you see sickly chickens, often wounded from the fall from the truck, trying to get around and out of traffic. It would take less than a half mile walk for one of these animals to get to my little farm. One could easily be carried here by a dog or coyote. What am I supposed to do if my chicken population acquires a resistant strain of bacteria?! [​IMG]

10. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    It all comes down to the bottom line. Companies do not care or even think about the fall out from their actions down the road. The more money they make, the better they are doing.

We are the ones who pay the price with our pocketbooks and our health.

I am glad we eat our own beef, soon will have our own eggs & chicken and I grow some of our own vegetables

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by