More recalled meat

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Two Creeks Farm, Aug 14, 2011.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    not again... [​IMG]

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    why I raise my own. Never been sick off meat I've harvested/hunted myself..

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Aside from the commercial food saftey issues, proper handling at home is super important. We need to make sure ground meat of any kind is thoroughly cooked through and not exposed to any surface that has been in contact with the raw product. I was at a restaurant recently where they asked my 90 year old FIL how he wanted his burger cooked. What!? I would never recommend eating a burger that is pink in the middle. If you take a roast and grind it yourself and cook it right away you will be safer because the surface bacteria doesn't have time to multiply inside the ground beef(I still don't recommend it pink) but if you just buy a burger out or buy already ground meat at the store it should only be cooked well done.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  4. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    We are grateful everyday that we are raising our own chickens & grateful to the folks that we split an organic cow with. The SO hunts for venison every year, so we are well on our way to being self sustaining. At least we won't get sick. Our garden has abundantly produced this year something else I am grateful for. Food prices are so high & with the economy 1/2 your paycheck goes for food for your family. Granted it is not an easier way but a more satisfying way.

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Ooops....I ate one of those 2 days ago. My burger was my regular medium rare. Haven't died yet! [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Glad I eat venison I shoot, fish I catch, and chickens I raise!!

7. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

I may have missed it, but did anyone get sick from this batch of contaminated ground beef?

If not, then this shows that the food safety mechanisms in the country are working.

8. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

I may have missed it, but did anyone get sick from this batch of contaminated ground beef?

If not, then this shows that the food safety mechanisms in the country are working.

Thats kind of what I read...that the FDA missed it but the state found it. Not sure if they jump the gun on this stuff or not. I do know it scares alot of folks!​

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Quote:Me too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by