More rooster issues

IamRainey

Crowing
Aug 22, 2017
Los Angeles (Woodland Hills); gardening zone 9B
I've got a rooster who's displaying aggression. Not regularly. And it isn't more than a thump and a bit of scratching (he doesn't have spurs yet) but it gets me down. I almost had a chance to rehome him recently and when it came down to it, I didn't want to let him go. I want to find a way to live with him. Believe it or not, it's the crowing I'd miss.

Rocky isn't my first agressive rooster. His father, Maurice, was a gorgeous French Black Copper Marans. I wanted to keep him too but I didn't know how to handle him. I let the aggression go on too long before I tried to correct it. In the end, I tried everything and failed to control him. It got too anxious to be trying to refill items in the coop, keep a stick at hand and keep my eye on him. He had to go.

Rocky (25% BCM and 75% Cream Legbar) was mellow well into his maturity. It's only recently that he's begun throwing himself at me and only on random occasions. I grabbed a stick and announced my space as soon as it happened. He respects the stick and steers clear when I've got it. But, again, it's just awkward to have to hang onto it while I do my business, so sometimes I forego it. 85% of the time when I do, he's well behaved. But then the random thumping starts again when I've lost sight of him.

Today I noticed that when I took them watermelon and placed it on the floor of the coop he stood patrol eyeing me while the hens dug in. It was only after 5 minutes or so of this standoff that he began to peck at it himself. I thought, this is what I want! I want him looking after his flock. And I also want him not attacking where attack isn't required.

So I guess I'm asking how do I do a better job of making clear that I'm not a threat. My present strategies are 1) have sticks anyplace I may need one, 2) occasionally wave it in "my" space when he's looking fierce, 3) not getting down at his level when he's present and 4) if he's extending his hackles or flapping his wings I give some nearby object a good thwack with the stick. What can I add to communicate that I'm not a threat to him or the hens?

I've got a rooster who's displaying aggression. Not regularly. And it isn't more than a thump and a bit of scratching (he doesn't have spurs yet) but it gets me down. I almost had a chance to rehome him recently and when it came down to it, I didn't want to let him go. I want to find a way to live with him. Believe it or not, it's the crowing I'd miss.

Rocky isn't my first agressive rooster. His father, Maurice, was a gorgeous French Black Copper Marans. I wanted to keep him too but I didn't know how to handle him. I let the aggression go on too long before I tried to correct it. In the end, I tried everything and failed to control him. It got too anxious to be trying to refill items in the coop, keep a stick at hand and keep my eye on him. He had to go.

Rocky (25% BCM and 75% Cream Legbar) was mellow well into his maturity. It's only recently that he's begun throwing himself at me and only on random occasions. I grabbed a stick and announced my space as soon as it happened. He respects the stick and steers clear when I've got it. But, again, it's just awkward to have to hang onto it while I do my business, so sometimes I forego it. 85% of the time when I do, he's well behaved. But then the random thumping starts again when I've lost sight of him.

Today I noticed that when I took them watermelon and placed it on the floor of the coop he stood patrol eyeing me while the hens dug in. It was only after 5 minutes or so of this standoff that he began to peck at it himself. I thought, this is what I want! I want him looking after his flock. And I also want him not attacking where attack isn't required.

So I guess I'm asking how do I do a better job of making clear that I'm not a threat. My present strategies are 1) have sticks anyplace I may need one, 2) occasionally wave it in "my" space when he's looking fierce, 3) not getting down at his level when he's present and 4) if he's extending his hackles or flapping his wings I give some nearby object a good thwack with the stick. What can I add to communicate that I'm not a threat to him or the hens?
So many roos get sent away. I understand why but it can be sad. Don't lose hope! I almost re-homed 2 of my roos and ended up keeping them without much hassle.
Firstly, he's doing his job 'protecting' the girls, which is good. As you mentioned, he sees you as a potential threat.
How 'dangerous' is he? If you had to, could you catch him?
You can put him in 'time out' when he is bad. Use a crate/kennel, etc. You could also emasculate him to let him know you're boss. I've successfully used a combination of emasculation and time out.
How it works, if he isn't too hard to handle, you can try to pin him down with your hand, give him some light pecks (poke him with your finger) to say "no, not cool, I'm boss", and pick him up in front of the girls. Roos DO NOT generally like being handled in front of the girls because it makes them look bad. Hold him for a few, carry him around, put him down where and when you want- because you are boss. If he is too uncooperative, finger-peck again or put him in time out.

The method comes from mixed sources, but I had to do something about my boys, and I wasn't about to eat them!

It could take a while. Or it might not work. But my biggest and baddest roo and I have an understanding.

Do not attempt handling if you think your roo might be dangerous or too aggressive. Don't get yourself injured.

I start “training” my cockerels as soon as I recognize that they are boys. No hand feeding, very little personal interaction. I will randomly walk through them as I go about my business. If I want to get from point A to point B and a cockerel is in my way, I keep walking and make him back up. If one starts stalking me or gives me the evil eye, I will walk at him and make him move. Sometimes I will move them away from food or water just because I can. I will stare them down. I have not had any human aggressive roosters in the years I have been raising them this way.

A smart cockerel or rooster should not feel the need to protect his hens from The Bringer of Food and Other Good Things. He should be looking for real threats instead.

I start “training” my cockerels as soon as I recognize that they are boys. No hand feeding, very little personal interaction. I will randomly walk through them as I go about my business. If I want to get from point A to point B and a cockerel is in my way, I keep walking and make him back up. If one starts stalking me or gives me the evil eye, I will walk at him and make him move. Sometimes I will move them away from food or water just because I can. I will stare them down. I have not had any human aggressive roosters in the years I have been raising them this way.

A smart cockerel or rooster should not feel the need to protect his hens from The Bringer of Food and Other Good Things. He should be looking for real threats instead.
Ditto Dat!!!

I'm sure you guys are right but my boy is now full grown. And I'm trying to establish a detente. I know that I should confidently walk out there establishing my dominance but the truth is I'm not confident. I'm not afraid but I'm constantly aware that he could be thumping me when I'm, say, at the nesting boxes and can't have an eye on him. And I think he feels my wariness.

And speaking of eyes, I feel like when he does the evil eye thing and I stare him back I'm just challenging him to go to the next step. So I've avoided eye contact.

As it is, I'm OK with a stick just in my hand. But I know he respects the stick, no me and he's just waiting for his opportunity when I've put the stick down or turned my back on him.

I'm sure you guys are right but my boy is now full grown. And I'm trying to establish a detente. I know that I should confidently walk out there establishing my dominance but the truth is I'm not confident. I'm not afraid but I'm constantly aware that he could be thumping me when I'm, say, at the nesting boxes and can't have an eye on him. And I think he feels my wariness.

And speaking of eyes, I feel like when he does the evil eye thing and I stare him back I'm just challenging him to go to the next step. So I've avoided eye contact.

As it is, I'm OK with a stick just in my hand. But I know he respects the stick, no me and he's just waiting for his opportunity when I've put the stick down or turned my back on him.
I don’t think it’s too late to redirect him, but you’re right - he senses your lack of confidence. If you’re OK with having to carry a stick around, then carry the stick. We all have to do what works best for us.

I know that I should confidently walk out there establishing my dominance but the truth is I'm not confident
Sorry you have a naughty boy!
Although I'm somewhat new to chickens, I do know that in my years of working with horses there were many times I had to live by the adage "fake it til you make it." I've heard the better you are at acting, the higher it pays, lol. Anyway, hope he shapes up for you!

Read @Beekissed 's article about managing roosters who need 'management', and see if it helps. Carry your persuader at all times, and walk tall!
In my experience, cockerels or roosters who decide to take humans on don't reform, they get worse, and are dangerous. They also can produce obnoxious offspring, as apparently happened in your flock.
I have zero tolerance, and a much nicer flock and chicken experience here.
Mary

Read @Beekissed 's article about managing roosters who need 'management', and see if it helps. Carry your persuader at all times, and walk tall!
In my experience, cockerels or roosters who decide to take humans on don't reform, they get worse, and are dangerous. They also can produce obnoxious offspring, as apparently happened in your flock.
I have zero tolerance, and a much nicer flock and chicken experience here.
Mary
Mary, do you have a link to this article? I don't know if I'm challenged or what, but I couldn't find it when I searched 🙁

Back
Top Bottom