more Seramas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rarebreedeggs4u, Nov 7, 2009.

1. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I bought this young trio last weekend. I think they are, not great, but OK. Since I know *very* little about the breed, I'm looking for critiques please [​IMG] The roo is about 8 months old. The pullets are about 4 months old...at least this is what I was told [​IMG] They are SUPER sweet by the way...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry, I cut the top of her head off!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  2. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Well if your not happy withthem I'll take them off your hands! Hint hint! No they are what you want for breeders the rooster will improve in type till he is 1 to 1 1/2 years old he will be a nice little bird! The hen has even began getting typie yet they don't start till around that age she will be a great little bird! Both very short backed love the color of the roo want one like that! No you have a start, good start acually!

3. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Oh by the way have you wieghed them yet the rooster looks like a class C but the hen look like they might finish out HighA low B

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I don't have any perfect seramas but I just wanted to say that I too, love the color of that roo! Gorgeous!

5. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Ill give you a helpful detailed critique tomorrow! I was headed to bed when I found this, but I agree with Tyler!
    Definitely love that color! You can send him to me or Ty.....we can share!!

6. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Wow, I'm excited and surprised. Thanks so much. ANY other critiques or comments are very, very welcome! I'll see if I can find my digital postage scale and weigh them today.

Also, all of my birds (newly hatched to layers) are on game bird starter/breeder crumbles. Is this OK for the little ones?

I have 11 eggs in the bator that I got with these guys and set last Sunday. I'll candle tonight to see how they are doing...I am SO excited and nervous! I know I need to grind the feed for Serama babies if we are lucky enough to get any, correct?

7. BluegrassSeramas

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    First I suggest studying all that you can.

Ondra's Seramas and High Roost Ranch both have personal BYC pages with lots of info, and you can google the SCNA and find lots of inf there.

What are the age of these birds do you think?

This is what I can tell from the pics. If you can get some profile pics of the birds it will help!

Roo--
    Great hard tail with excellent pointy banner sickle--love it.
    A pinch long in the back, but not terrible. I would definitely watch for that. You want to get rid of that "U" space back there.
    His wings look great, a bit short in the first picture, but they look just the right length in the second.
    He has a nice medium sized EVEN comb and waddles--thats about as big as I would want them...but its only a few show points off.
    Hopefully he develops a little more in the chest department. It looks like its set a tiny bit low, and is slim....but I have seen way worse.
    If hes young, there is hope that he will develop more in this area.
    I think that you have a good start there.

Pullets--
    They are young and its hard to tell from the angle of the pics, but I dont like them as much as him.
    They seem to have longer backs (but I have seen worse) You definitely dont want that "U" shape.
    Also they are very slim in the chest..could be because of age, but keep an eye on it.
    You want a high round chest.
    I like to think of it like a circle with another small circle for the head sitting on the back of the large circle...like they dont have a neck. That is pretty extreme, but its what I breed toward.
    I like an S shape with a smaller top in their profile.... you can see what I mean on this pullet. Start under her beak and you can see that you can trace an "S".
    [​IMG]
    You can also see how she has NO back.
    Here is the S shape that I really like. (If only he had a stiff tail!!)
    [​IMG]

I like their tails and wing length...they are worth keeping an eye on! I think you have a great start.

High Roost Ranch might be nice enough to post a picture of Hero. He is really a nice bird, and can give you an idea what to look for.

8. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    That was VERY helpful! Thank you so much! The roo is 8 months and the pullets are 4 months.

I did weigh them today. He is 16.6 oz and the girls are 8.9 and 8.8 oz.

9. BluegrassSeramas

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    He is well within range. I think that they are going to go from 19oz down to possibly 17 oz when they get ABA acceptance.
    The girls are going to get bigger, but should stay within range too.

I weigh birds at 6 or so months and again between 12-18 to write it in the records if Im keeping them as breeders. Some birds fill out more.

You've got something to work with. I would not expect to breed this trio and get exceptional chicks, and be able to sell a lot of eggs or chicks---but you have a better start than most. If you can get a hold of a great hen from good lines, I would breed him to her and see if you can improve on the next generation.
    Until you get all the bugs worked out or figure out what they are throwing, I would work on them for a year or so and keep lots and lots of records!
    Pretty soon, with work, you could have some nice birds on your hands.

Im sure a lot would love to have that color if he throws it.

10. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Quote:Meeeee toooo! I want that color tooo! Love the blue seramas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by