MORE Stuff I Wish I Had Known

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lisa Wood, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Lisa Wood

Lisa Wood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina
    Some of this list may be repeated because of my brain.
    I wish we had known it would be love at first sight, and that wev would reach inside our pockets to upgrade upgrade upgrade coop area with fans, predator control, and light with cracked window so we can run to the rescue if needed. We are considering a Chicken Baby Monitor.
    I wish I had known watching ten chicks replaces TV. CHICKS ARE "ATTENTION VAMPIRES."
    Wish we considered placement of run and coop in relationship to house. We are maybe too close.
    i wish I had known they eat like ravenous vultures.
    Wish i had known more about predators, snakes, mites, lice, fleas, ticks
    I wish I had known there is an entire foreign language called chicken speak, and I like listening to them.
    I am not sure yet, because I have not yet researched it, but I think also their voices change like a teenage boyt for them to transition to new hen language?

2. Rural Broody

Rural Broody Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Thank you! I'm just starting out so love this! How close is your coop? We're converting a lean-to essentially and it's about 30? Ft from our house. I'd have to double check that. What do you recommend?

3. Lisa Wood

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina
    Rural Broody,
    I'm not sure what to recommend yet cause they have only been out of the house about ten days. I estimate our coop is also about 30-35 feet from house, with some of the run closer, maybe 12 feet? We decided, against a freind's suggestion, to start where we are, and if we smell too much, we can move it. My research, after the fact, says if everything is clean, there is no smell problem. I have been poop scooping with kitty scoop droppings I can see twice a day. (Idea from this list :) No smell, and thermometer is reading 100 degrees.
    The test will happen, I think, while they are using 10' x70' run. We will clean the run too. Have not researched this topic yet, but it cant be worse than changing a diaper, right?

4. Rural Broody

Rural Broody Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Ok thanks! And good luck! I just measured today and ours is actually more like 50 feet away, so we'll see!

5. Lisa Wood

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina
    So we have a 50 x 50 poultry netting ordered to keep chicks safe from hawks. Untill it gets here in SC, running 100% heat during miday, I am chick sitting. Amazing husband went to MD to work, so I am chick sitting alone. I THOUGHT when sun started dropping, they would automatically want to move back into cozy coop. I mean, when it gets dark, they want the day to be over because they are birds!? This thread may need to be titled "Things I thought about chickens that were WRONG!" Not one out of ten had any inclunation in the slightest to go into coop. I think they would have stayed up partying at the Chicken Buffet all night. I sat down, came on the list, and learned they must be ENCOURAGED! (Read taught) to go into their own coop!? I thought thats why they just spent an entire week confined to the coop, so they know where their home is, right? Thats what the operating directions said?!
    But no, every single one had to be hand caught and placed into coop. Well, maybe not placed? I was their launching pad for the short flight home!? I tried catching the head chickita, Tania, and having her call them home. The moment i turned my back she flew the coop?! When sweat rolls into your eyes, you become blind with irritating sting.
    I am old and overweight. ( Oh yeah, thats a big reason I decided to get chicks, so I am outdoors moving more). Not only must they be taught to load themselves back into coop, I also read we must TEACH them to roost!? Are you serious? Our coop is not a walk in, so not only will it be hard to provide an example for them, i fear we did not install a roost that would hold me?! I mean really, do we also have to teach them to lay an egg? (I think I know, I just cant really explain it to them!?)
    I will try tomorrow a going home training technique I learned here. It involves an umbrella, pot, and spoon. Please wish me chicken luck. I may be moving into the market for a Roo.
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by