More table scraps = fewer eggs ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BruceAZ, Sep 13, 2016.

1. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    I have a flock of 5..we used get about 3-4 eggs a day

but now only 1-2 a day..

my leghorn stopped laying for the last 6-7+ days for some reason.. :/

2. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    How old are they?

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Birds are not machines, and they will have reasons to lower production. Molting, any stress, diet, parasites, other illness, hours of light per day, age. Mary

4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Adding table scraps usually results in a decrease in nutrient consumption because the scraps are not balanced nutrition. Plus the scraps are either high energy or high fiber, the high fiber scraps decrease overall food consumption because of gut fill.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Premade diets cover all the nutrition your birds need and are age appropriate...Only 10% of their diet should be other types of food..That includes, scratch grains and the table scraps...
    You answered your own question...If your egg production is down, it is the diet your feeding..Plus fat hens do not live or produce as long as healthy birds...

Cheers

6. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    5+ months old

my leghorn is the smallest in the group.. as for the pecking order she's at the bottom of the flock of 5..

i don't know if bullying can be a factor or not.. since she's not laying at all for 1+ week now

7. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    try isolating your lead hen for a week and ready introduce . My smallest hen runs my flock of 152. There are 151 chickens and a duck. First in command is a very dainty 2 y/o rir hen and second in command is a blind 4y/o barbanter hen who is blind as a bat.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

In a flock of 152 Chickens...No possible way you know who is at the top in pecking order......?? NO WAY.....

9. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    Actually I do. 25 are meat birds and in a coop/run all the other own. 60 are under a month old so they just answer to Big Red the adult rir hen in their coop. Duckie just eats all day and stays out of trouble. The remaining 66 are 4 separate ages making the ultimate pecking order easy to follow. My single white leghorn is almost 2 and is near the top, not for her size but for her temperament, she is very laid back yet very dominant. So yes a person as involved in the care as much as I am DOES know the pecking order.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    151 chickens and a duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by