More than 1 Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by de88ie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. de88ie

de88ie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Texas
    We have 5 Roosters that have been together from the store to us. So far they are doing great at 18 weeks old but I have had a few people tell me they will start fighting and I will have to get rid of them.

These people who tell me this does not have chickens??? [​IMG]
    So I was wondering.....

2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    mine tend to do good, until I separate one or more from the others, so when I put him/them back the do fight

I have 3 roosters in my breeding pen and they have been together since birth, and no fighting just your occasional peck here and there just to establish who is the head rooster

3. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two coops and a roo in each. The roos are identical in age and they tend to not get after one another while free ranging. They seem to be good so far but they are only 3 1/2months old.

I also have a neurologically damaged roo (damaged by the US Post office in transit) that if he does come out of his usual coop the other roo will chase him down. He plays dead and the other roo gets confused and walks away. Sad but funny. I go and pick him up and put him back in his coop and he gets up after a few minutes gos back to his his less than normal self again.

4. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Quote:People tell me this too. I have 16 chickens in my coop and 6 are roosters. They all get along. They are roughly the same age though. I did add a chick in there (a male) recently and they gave it a lot of crap for days. I felt bad, but I grit my teeth and eventually the 6 week old was able to come out of hiding without being chased down and now he pushes and shoves everyone around and he's the smallest!

5. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I have a separate pen just for my roosters. I only have one roo with my ladies. It works out fine. I think sometimes it can become a problem when there is more than one rooster in with the ladies and those roos are equally matched and/or equally stubborn.

ETA: everybody's situation is different. You will just have to monitor yours and act accordingly. You may not have many problems at all. Or, you may have a constant battle on your hands with frantic hens wishing for a peaceful life.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  6. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Mine aren't breeding yet even though a few hens have been laying. So I guess time shall tell with my flock!

7. de88ie

Jul 21, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks everyone!

I figured they would be ok since they have been together for about 3 months and no real fighting going on. The two smaller roosters are friends and the two larger one are friends and one he is a loner but gets along with both sets.

I think with the number of hens we have it should be good.

But I will keep an eye on them just in case. Luckily I can pick them all up and hold them.

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Last year was my first attempt at chickens, bought 9 from the local feed store, pullet pen mind you...

[​IMG]
    (all 9 on the roost)

[​IMG]
    (4 of these...Australorp)

[​IMG]
    (5 of these, Barred Rock)

ALL ROOSTERS!![​IMG]

They all did fine together, all crowed, all strutted, all play fought...I had no pullets to protect so no issues....they have all been re-homed and
    now I have 3 roos, (soon to be one less) and 16 pullets....

They should do fine together...in fact the 2 roos I am keeping, the Alpha is now allowing the 2nd in command to crow and breed with the girls...
    they were raised together though...so there is a "mutual respect" I suppose! Although Alpha roo, does NOT like him to breed to his fav, a RIR I have...!

**You have 15 hens and 5 roosters? Hmmm....my guess is you will be getting rid of several...I have read 1 roo to 10 girls...I have 2 to 16 and I think this is just right...
    good luck to you though...but as the girls reach POL, you will see who is in charge and who is useless in the flock...good time to re-home or freezer camp them.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  9. de88ie

Jul 21, 2011
    Texas
    JodyJo~ I hope that we do not have to get rid of any.
    They have already arranged their peeking order of who is in charge and who is second incharge. It is kinda fun to watch [​IMG]

Happy Chicken Farming!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I am concerned that once they reach sexual maturity your roosters will start gang breeding your hens. 15 hens to 5 roosters is not a good ratio. When multiple roosters start breeding a hen there is potential for lacerations of the comb, neck, sides and back of the hen. Keep an eye on them and be prepared to react if problems arise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by