More than half flock died without an obvious signs of issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RandomTXFlock, Nov 17, 2019.

1. RandomTXFlock

RandomTXFlock Hatching

Nov 17, 2019
    I have a mixed flock: RIRs, barnevelders, amuericanas, Easter eggers, etc.

A couple months ago, we noticed a stop in egg production when two of our hens went broody, didn't think much of it, because this has happened in the past.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago, we have now lost over half our flock. There are no signs of trauma, they are fed and watered, they are in a coop that is large and enclosed. We have sand as the bedding.

If they are sick, do we let this run it's course? Or do we kill the remaining 4 (out of 14), and do a major disinfect and start fresh?

We've lost chickens in the past due to obvious trauma, but never anything like this.

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I would suggest sending a freshly deceased bird to your state lab for necropsy so you know what you are dealing with.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - sorry for this situation.

This is exactly what I would recommend. You need to find out what the problem is.

ValerieJ, casportpony and Sequel like this.
  4. RandomTXFlock

RandomTXFlock Hatching

Nov 17, 2019
    Where can I find that information?

ValerieJ likes this.
  5. RandomTXFlock

RandomTXFlock Hatching

Nov 17, 2019
    This may sound like a really stupid question, but we have two dogs, can any diseases be caught interspecies? We also have a newborn, could she get sick as well?

My husband is going to get a tyvek suit to avoid contamination since we really aren't sure what we're dealing with.

ValerieJ likes this.
  6. aSoftsilkie

aSoftsilkie Chirping

Nov 10, 2019
    this might be mareks disease. its a HIGHLY infectious virus that can spread aerial, and by touch. this virus is a silent killer, it can kill a bird overnight without any signs of sickness. but if caught you will see signs of blindness lack of energy, and lopping feet. there is a vaccine for the virus but it is leaky so it cannot save the bird 40 percent of the time. but if still live it will still carry the virus even if healthy, and still can spread. the virus can last 10 years in the flock or the remaining area. I hope your remaining birds are ok!:fl mareks.jpg

ValerieJ likes this.
  7. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
  8. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Have you seen any symptoms beofe your birds died, such as runny poops, mites, crop problems, head shaking or sneezing, runny nostrils or gunk in eyes? Were any birds paralyzed or limping? It looks like Texas charges $100 for a necropsy, but that is the best way to get an idea of what has been going on. Here is the contact info:
    https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/

ValerieJ likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: