More than one a day?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raro, Aug 25, 2010.

1. raro

raro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Today I got the hens out into the run. Even though there are nesting boxes, they seem to like to nest on the extra straw that I had intended to "temporarily" store in one corner of the run, but which they promptly scattered all over and had a blast with. Anyway, there was a nice chicken-shaped indentation with nothing in it. One chicken went straight for that spot, so I figured she was going to be the first layer of the day. I checked back a few hours later and there were 3 eggs. (I have 5 chickens). I was happy, took them inside. Came back in the evening, and there were FOUR MORE eggs! That's seven eggs in one day from five hens. How is this possible?! I thought I would be lucky to have 3 or 4 a day. (Not that I'm complaining!)

2. jf1234

jf1234 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    North yorkshire
    Eggmazing!

I am new to chucks, only got 2 welsummer 3 weeks ago. I am very lucky to get 1 egg a day from them.
    So what ever your doing it is definately working. Any tips to encourage my girls to lay more!

Jayne

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  3. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    They should lay every 26 hours roughly, so seven from five in twelve or so hours seems odd.

Is it possible that there were three eggs laid yesterday, somewhere close by, and one of the hens has collected them all together. They do like to collect up eggs and keep them in one big pile and they do like to lay eggs where there are already eggs sitting there.

See how many you have tomorrow? If it keeps going like this you'll need to watch your chloresterol levels just keeping up with them [​IMG]

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My biggest Brahma hen sometimes lays two eggs in twenty four hours, I know they are hers as she is the only hen who lays on the dog's bed.

After laying two she usually goes off broody within the week,

Sandie

5. Jen71

Jen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    Australia
    I was wondering this too.

Is it physically possible for a chicken to lay 2 eggs in 24 hours?

We have 4 chickens who are new to laying and they all lay in the nesting boxes. Some days we get 2 eggs, most days we have 3 or 4, and twice we have had 5.

6. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:Yes it is, I have gotten 7 eggs from 5 hens before. I had one hen that was laying 8 eggs a week for month!

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Biologically it seems impossible, but lots of things happen in the natural world that amaze us [​IMG] Logically, I would guess that maybe an egg or two could have been laid in the straw (and covered up) over the past several days, and while nesting to lay an egg, those eggs "dug up" and moved in with the other egg????

8. gallinamama

gallinamama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Macomb, Michigan
    Just thinking... what a life chickens have!! having to push out those big things every single day... ouch! Don't want to come back as a chicken....[​IMG]

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    It isnt supposed to happen,but could be twins,instead of a double yoker,could be a double egger. I feel sorry for them,but if you have to push out two at once,better out than in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by