More than one Rooster? pic of my last roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by r4eboxer, Nov 4, 2011.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I currently have 7 hens. I had 9 hens and a Rooster but unfortunatly I lost my Roo and two hens last week. I already had one rooster ordered when I lost my only roo.

Next week I should recieve my orders of 16 hens and one rooster. That will leave me with 23 hens to one roo. I feel like I should have two roosters with that many hens and is why I put another rooster on the order. The only thing is I remember from my childhood when we had two roosters there were problems. I was too young then to remember what they were but I do know they ended up on the chopping block.

What should I expect if I've got two roos? Will they fight a lot? The roo already coming is an EE. I will have 9 hens that are EE and I plan to use that roo to get ee chicks. I am going to handle the roo a bunch, I handled my last roo and we just loved him. RIP SHARK Here is a pic of Shark on my sons lap.

[​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If you introduce a new "grown" roo to the flock, the original roo will usually look at it as an invader. It's best to raise young roos together to keep the sparring down to a minimal.

3. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    maybe the roo's will get along....but i think 1 roo can take care of 23 hens....try the 2 roo's and see how it works out...
    if not....keep your favorite!

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 2 with 16 hens...they each have their girls...we have a very large area, so they split up, the two roos do a great job of protecting the girls...

it could be difficult to introduce a new grown one though...

5. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:Very good point and a very good excuse to order more chicks.... [​IMG]

6. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:Ok well I suppose he could and just be one very tired roo. [​IMG] tee hee hee I really would like auracaunas (sp?) I may just go looking to see what is out there in the breed thread. I'd like a chick since that does sound easier to raise them together. I am going to need a plan to seperate my breeds though.

*happily skips off to the drawing board*

7. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:Protection is the reason I decided initially to add a roo, he did his job too he did give up his life but unfortunatly 2 hens went after he did. I figure he did give the rest of the girls time to get away. Too bad he was my favorite.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I've introduced a young 4.5 month old roo to my flock of 12 (including a one year old silkie roo), and they all get along wonderfully!

9. cathyb68

cathyb68 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    I have 4 roos to my 12 hens. They were all raised together. The roos seem to get along just fine. They "knock on wood" haven't tried to attack me. They do puff up at me if they think I am hurting on of their girls. The roos puff up at each other from time to time, but we haven't had any full blown cock fights. lol

10. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:Thanks cathyb that's good to know you have that many roos and it's going well. Makes me feel better. I'd like to have some pure chicks and want a roo with each breed it at all possible, eventually that is. I've got to expand and the first coop isn't even completely finished. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by