more then one rooster in a flock of 31

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by coffeychicks, Oct 22, 2013.

1. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    so i have recently acquired a new rooster to add to my existing flock, done the quarantine process and went to introduce him to the flock tried to add him at night next morning it was complete and utter chaos. my bcm rooster went balistic. yes i kinda expected this but i guess what i am wondering is will these 2 ever be able to be housed together or do i just need to build a seperate coop so i can give both roosters their own girls? i am adding the new rooster because there has been some problems with fertility in eggs for hatching i would like the new rooster white leghorn to be with my 7 other white leghorn hens, and my 8ee. and the bcm rooster with the 13 other hens. any suggestions. when free ranging it isn't so bad as the wlh has room to run. and escape the bcm attempts for fighting. the bcm is the aggressor. [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The original rooster will ALWAYS be the aggressor. He's not a flock member. And he's leering at the BCM's hens.
    They may get along over time as there are definitely enough hens but with your plan sounds like you need two facilities. Otherwise how will you tell the Leghorn to only mate with the leghorns and EEs and the BCM only the others?

It's understandable that you have fertility issues. A BCM can't possibly cover 31 hens.

3. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Aside from the fighting if you want your leghorn chicks pure think you will have to pen all the leghorns separately anyway so the roos wont be together then anywayso should work out.
    As far as will they eventually get along i dont know.I have maybe10 or 14 young roos but all have been raised together so no big fights ever

4. coffeychicks

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    well 14 of the hens are still very young only 3 months old. but even with the 15 hens are of age still had fertility issues. but your right i didn't consider the fact that if 2 roosters i won't know who did the deed with who. lol opps. guess my poor hubby is building me a new coop this weekend. that will only make 3 coops so as if i ever need an excuse for more chicken math i will be able to add my chicks hee hee

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's usually only very light breeds that can cover 15 hens. A Marans would do better with 8-10 max.

I've seen flocks of birds with lots of various breeds and almost as many roos as hens that all got along. One was at the Purina Mills farm in Grey Summit MO. There wasn't any squabbling but there was lots of room, lots of diversions AND I don't know how old all the birds were or if they grew up together.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  6. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    By the way when you do separate the leghorns you might get eggs still fertilized from the old roo for a month or moreWont be for sure pure leghorn possibly for at least a month.So id eat the eggs for a month or 6 weeks before you hatch any.

7. coffeychicks

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    yeah i knew that i would have to seperate and wait to hatch out eggs but i was under the impression it was only for 2 weeks. boy i never stop learning with chickens. no matter how much i research or read on here. eventually i should have a degree in chickens..... lol

8. coffeychicks

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    So as time has passed both roos are dealing with each other nicely. New roo did the mating dance to me he got booted across the yard. He tried again and older roo flogged him. No more dances to me since. So question why did older ROo flog him for dancing at me just kinda wondering

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    He's the Alpha Roo and schooling the Jr Roo.

Is the Alpha Roo human aggressive?

10. coffeychicks

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    Oh no I won't keep an aggressive roo. He is guarded and wonderful to the hens he only comes around if food is involved lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by