More ways to gain humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kikidee, Jun 6, 2011.

1. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    I have literally tried everything to help humidity rise in my hova bator. The highest my hygrometer has read is 51%. I'm trying to get it to at least 65. I've put sponges in, bowls of water, my last attempt today was to put a bowl of water with a rock in it so it would heat up more. It's at 45%. I'm going to possibly start to spray them with warm water because I have no idea how else to get humidity on the eggs. [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Forget the spray!!! 51% is just fine. I often incubate at 25% or lower. I only worry about humidity for lockdown.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    For the first 17 days your humidity should be below 50% preferrably around 45% and day 18-21 around 65 - 70% for chickens.

What are you incubating, where are you in the incubation process, is the hova bator stil air or circulated fan? Give us some more info please

4. kikidee

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    AHHH i always forget to mention, im incubating duck eggs, so dry incubation is a no go..

5. kikidee

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    Quote:Cayuga duck eggs, day 3, still air, no fan or auto turner. :eek:

6. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    i get warm wet paper towels and lay them totally flat on the bottom. i used that with my duck eggs because i too could NO get my humidity higher than 40%. with the towels i wet them every day. i got 10 out of 13 duck eggs hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by