More weird behaviours.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknmania, Aug 29, 2007.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We had two hens co-mothering on a nest; taking turns setting and keeping each other company, or so we thought. Raven started setting on hers first. Hers SHOULD have hatched around the 27th, but we're not certain of the date. They haven't. FriendHen started setting maybe a week or ten days later. Today I went to the barn and FriendHen was eating all the eggs she could reach. When I tried to make her stop, she pecked me...hard. Then she kept on eating eggs. Raven is still sitting on some. I don't remember FriendHen being an egg eater before, but she dissapeared for a couple months this summer, then re-appeared, so we guessed she may've been setting somewhere else; she may've eaten those eggs, too. Would she eat the eggs if she thought they were duds? Or did she desert the nest due to the heat? Our dog came in the barn with me and the chickens who stay near the barn are not used to her. Could that have stressed her out enough to eat the eggs? We've had a couple very hot days lately, but they have their own fan, as well as some breeze from another fan in the barn, so I don't think heat should've bothered her enough to make her leave the nest, but who knows? Anyone have ideas?

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    wow, wish I had an answer for you. Speckled Hen will know if she is on line.

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    My son said he is pretty sure they will do that if the eggs are bad...but I'm curious to see if anyone else has had a similar experience?

4. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I know they will push the eggs out of the nest if they're bad....but i haven't heard of them eating the eggs that are bad.

Sandra

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Raven was pushing her bad eggs out earlier this month. Now they are both back to sitting on the remaining eggs. Still no signs of hatching.[​IMG]

6. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    My EE's are pushing the golf balls out of their nests...still waiting on eggs from them. I have to put them back in every day...and the next morning they are pushed out again. I keep shaking around the bins hoping they aren't covering up and hiding the eggs. They keep raking around the pine shavings and covering up the balls. The chickens are definitely getting into the nests...I keep catching them in there scratching around...but NO eggs yet!
    20 weeks old today! [​IMG]

7. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    OK, this takes the cake....our little Silkie hen, Thing One, decided to make a nest and set on the floor right underneath the nest of FriendHen and Raven. She's been setting on her eggs about ten days. Well, today, Friendhen and Raven are setting on Thing One's eggs, and have given their own eggs up as a bad job. What IS it with those two!? Thing One is walking around the barn looking like she's not sure what to do! This is her first attempt at being a mom; she's not much more than a pullet herself. Not sure if this was a mutual agreement, or not! rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by