1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

More Wild Life About

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gracefulspice, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I've noticed that since we got our chickens we have more wild life around. We have a young rabbit that actually hangs out with the chickens when they free range. It will come as close to us as a 3 feet. Birds of all kinds come closer. And we even have a squirrll that sat right next to me the other day. It sat there and look at me for about 10 sec then wondered away unfrightened. Now were waiting for the deer to come closer. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Is it just us or does this wild life see us with the chickens and feel unthreatend? Anyone else have a simular story?

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    we had less squirrels (thank god in our neighborhood they're vicious, the caused us alone thousands in damages)but we had more birds, i think that was because we put a straw bale out and they all took some for a nest.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

We live in the country, and have had alot of rabbits around here. They were here before the chickens, but seem to get closer to us now. The other day I was walking back from the coop...and a rabbit just hopped right in front of me on its way to the garden! I talked to it, telling it....I DID NOT plant that for you...s/he sat there for a few minutes...I walked right up to it, about 2 feet away, then it just hopped off...like . okay okay...I get the hint! LOL
    Silly wabbits, the greens are for the chicks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by