More women are into chickens.........

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Omran, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hello everybody, I can't help it but to ask, do you think Are there more women raising chickens than men??

From this Fourm I think it is a diffinet that there are way more women in Chicken's Business than men.

Tell me what you thin?

Hey don't get me wrong I just like to make a statestick.

Omran.

2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Yea maybe, but I also think woman are more apt to post about it in a forum then men are....
    My bf loves chickens but would never participate in an online forum about them. I think it's kinda like asking for directions [​IMG] in his eyes. Whatever.. I'm glad to see Men and
    women represented here! [​IMG]

Nancy

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I think there are more women in agriculture (yes, backyard chicken coops count) as the lead homesteader/farmer than ever before. The gov't even has a women in agriculture program to support women who choose to homestead and farm instead of seeking other white collar careers.

4. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    well its hard to tell from byc. as most men dislike askin for help with directions they also dont like askin for help with chickens! most of those men. so hard headed

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  5. chrissum

chrissum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    NWMO USA
  6. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

Quote:Hey...... I'm always askin [​IMG]

7. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    not all men. just most

8. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    In my opinion I think more men are into more bigger animals like cattle and swine. You don't see a whole lot of guys into horses in 4 H.

9. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    Women maintaining flocks of chickens goes back further than ancient Egyptian times. Even in U.S. history it was generally farm wives who tended to flocks of poultry. Mayan (and other Native culture's) women tended to the chickens, too.

And, according to an American Heritage article, "The Chicken Story" located at http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1996/5/1996_5_52.shtml:

"The
    first person on the peninsula to raise chickens expressly for the market rather than simply sell what exceeded domestic needs was Mrs. Wilmer Steele. She ordered 500 chicks in 1923 and sold the 387 that survived to two pounds for sixty-two cents a pound, live weight.

This produced a very handsome profit indeed. In today’s money (that is, after allowing for inflation), Mrs. Steele received about five dollars a pound, wholesale, for her chickens. Not surprisingly, word of these profits spread fast. In 1925 the state of Delaware produced fifty thousand chickens for market and just the next year topped one million. By 1934 the peninsula was putting out seven million broilers a year, and production continued to soar as costs per bird declined steadily and demand rose accordingly."

10. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    2. No PETA or Cock fighting posts, period!​

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by