1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

more worm problems..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknmania, Oct 31, 2015.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We've been on a deworming schedule all year trying to get rid of the capillary worms. Seems to have been working pretty well, as far as overall flock health. However, I have one very sick little pullet, who, (of course) is one of our pets. Fecal test disclosed capillary worms. I have been treating her with some success with Fendbendazole (Panacur suspension) at 1 cc per day. She weighs about three pounds. However, her comb is still very dark around the edges and she is weak. Has been eating ok up until today, but not drinking very well. I was finally able to coax her into drinking water with probiotics and apple cider and applesauce in it, and she seems a little better since we've been concentrating on getting her to drink. ( Kathy, if you are reading this, I remember what you said about the importance of water, so true). I know the kind of damage worms can do, but I'm just wondering if I should try another dewormer. She's been on the Panacur for five days now. She is still very weak and her little comb is brown around the edges. I really don't want to lose her. so m y questions are:

Try a different dewormer?

Is 1cc per day enough Panacur? ( I have Valbazen also, and Levamisol)

Should I try oregano oil in the water too while she's on dewormer? Or I also have Zyfend, which I can give her, but I dont want anything to lessen the effect of the dewormer, I doubt if the supplements would, but not for sure.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Have you tried Cayenne Pepper? I've heard that deworms very well.

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    No, i haven't tried that but thanks for the info. What would the proportions be?

Peaches seems better today! I coaxed her to eat by drenching her crumbles in Zyfend water and then offering her soaking wet feed to her out of my hand. She ate a lot, and also had some very soft raisins. Then she drank on her own for the first time in days! She seems stronger and has a happier look in her eyes altogether. I am beginning to hope...

4. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I dewormed her for six days straight with the Panacur. And have been encouraging her to eat with wet food laced with Zyfend and/ or Vitamins/ Electrolytes.since then. Her last day of deworming was Monday, Nov 1st. I've also been adding probiotic powder to her food. She has been very slowly improving, getting a little stronger, her comb color is now very good, almost totally normal, where before it was brownish or very dark, toxic looking, around the edges. We had three beautiful days where she was able to go outside in a hospital cage for sunshine and fresh air, and that helped a lot, also. She can walk ok but still very shaky, and she is still very skinny. She eats pretty well and although I'm still giving her a lot of moist food, she can now also eat dry food and grain without any apparent problems. She does seem reluctant to drink as much water as I think she should be drinking. And I'm concerned about the failure to gain weight. In the past, we've had chickens who have been sick develop coccidiosis...fairly normal, I assume, since their immune systems drop. Her droppings look pretty normal, but I wonder if I should treat her with Amprol, as they can have cocci and not necessarily have loose droppings. Also I was going to deworm her at a ten day interval, which would be this coming Wednesday...but I'm wondering if maybe she still has some worms and that's why she's not gaining weight, and so, should I deworm her sooner than at the ten day interval?

I'm just searching for second opinions, as I really don't want to lose her, especially after she is showing improvement. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  5. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How much does she weigh and how much Panacur did you give her?

-Kathy

6. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    She weighs about three pounds, and I was giving her 1 cc per day. Which is what the vet (who is not an avian vet) thought would be appropriate.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  7. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Also I have Valbazen, would it be appropriate to use that instead for the next deworming, or should I stick with the Panacur?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Is your Panacur 100 mg per ml?

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If it is 100mg/ml, 1ml for several days is definitely more than enough to treat all worms.

-Kathy

10. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I will have to check with the vet re the strength, because his office just measured some suspension out for me. I guess maybe I'd better get another fecal done. I don't want to treat her for cocci OR worms if she doesn't have them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by