more!

fallenweeble

Songster
12 Years
Dec 4, 2007
so, maybe i need my own "fallenweeble - what the heck is this section?"
sorry to post so much here. truely it's all for a good cause. all of the birds i ask about i'm trying to help find new homes so that you to everyone for your tolerance, patience, and very, very good help!

P1090091.jpg

P1090066.jpg

P1090077.jpg

so these guys came out of the west valley los angeles city shelter yesterday. i actually went to take pics and pull a different roo but he had been sent on to a different shelter. these guys were in an outdoor cage without food or water and were huddled together for warmth with no shelter from the rain and so i grabbed 'em. the bigger one is HUGE - and very friendly. if i hold him and scratch his head he closes his eyes and relaxes. the smaller one is much more "skitty."
they seem to be good friends so i am housing them together.
oh, also, the soda can is there just to give some idea in terms of proportion/size. i don't actually give my chickens diet soda! ha ha.
any ideas regarding breeds?
thanks!

Last edited:
I have absolutely no expertise at all, but the big one kinda looks like maybe a Barred Wyandotte cross. The small one looks like possibly a gold Phoenix cross.

Last edited:
My guess, the big fellow is an Americauna (possibly EE) cross and the younger one does look Phoenix-esk to me...except for the comb and earlobes...so I'm going with OEGB X...lol probably crossed with Phoenix. Will be interesting to see how his tail grows out. His wattles look really tiny.

Edited to add...Ps the big one...I'm basing that on the muffs, beard and pea comb.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I see puffy cheeks on the bigger guy? With that and his comb,I'd say an EE or EE mix. I'm not really all that good at guessing breeds, but I'd say there is definately some game in the smaller guy. Good rescue. Wish I could help you,but I'm in Tn.

as usual thank you everyone!

to oakie: la city animal services waived the fee for these birds (a different la city shelter did the same thing last week - nice!) so i paid nuttin' for 'em.
when i pulled two hens out of the county system (different than the la city system) they charged me only $5.00 a piece which is not bad right?
the shelters are supposed to ask a low fee for adoptions in general in order to promote adoptions, but they ARE supposed to ask for something to try and deter folks who would use "free" animals for "other" purposes.
i think they waived the fee for me because i'm in the shelters a lot and they know i'm doing a lot of rescue stuff so i'm a pretty safe bet.
big_smile.png

i'd love to hear about your experience if you do pull some chickens from you local shelter! that's awesome . . . .

thanks again everyone!

I have a roo that has a Barred Rock father, and an EE mother. He has the same body shape as that barred roo. Mine doesnt have a beard, but that was a luck of the draw thing. I would say that the barred one is a Barred Rock/Dominique crossed with an EE.

Back
Top Bottom