Morning from he**

Katy

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
Kansas~50+ yrs of chickens
We've just had the morning from h***. First off I've been running a fever since yesterday evening. I was supposed to be babysitting 2 grandaughters today, so I got up and made arrangements with my DIL to keep them. Then my hubby came in and said we had a heifer calving and he was pretty sure something wasn't right. Watched her for awhile and then we determined the calf was coming backwards....all we could feel was the tail and butt....no feet. If the feet would have been coming we could have handled it as we've pulled quite a few backwards calves over the years. Called the vet....our normal vet was out on a farmcall and said he couldn't get here until noon. We finally found a large animal vet who could come out. After working for 2 hours to get the feet repositioned to where we could pull the calf we gave up and since the calf was already dead he removed the calf's leg so the calf could be pulled out. The heifer isn't out of the woods yet, although she's doing amazingly well for all she's been through this morning. Not a good day.

sad.png
I hope the heifer makes it...and so sorry the baby did not.

I hope you are feeling better soon!
hugs.gif

Mitzi

So sad Katy! Hope the heifer gets along ok. It is hard to lose even one and after such a struggle. I was raised on a small farm in W. KS and remember well the struggle and the let down and sadness you feel. Good luck wth the rest of the day!! Susan

Thats the scary thing about animal births; when they go right, its wonderful. But when they dont, it can be disastrous. Did you see the Dirty Jobs episode where he went to a dairy farm in Wisconsin, I think, huge operation, and they were calving cows everywhere in a huge barn...I mean huge, like airplane hanger huge. And it was wicked cold. They were calving left and right,one they had to pull out with chains, one they had to C section. I forget how many they said they calved a year, I think it was in the thousands.

Hope your poor heifer makes it.

hugs.gif
Jeesh, you are haveing a bad day. I sure hope the heifer makes it through, so sorry for loseing the calf. Now, got get in BED!! Take care of YOU! hope you are feeling better soon.

Back
Top Bottom