1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Morning Glory Flowers and Leaves

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by petertor, Nov 24, 2012.

1. petertor

petertor Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    We have endemic Morning Glory in our spacious backyard. We regularly pull it out but we can't keep the yard free of this pest. Is it alright for our fluffy butts to eat the flowers? The flowers are purple and the girls like anything that resembles red or purple. What about the leaves. I would appreciate some advice because they are eating the stuff as I type. - Peter

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I think morning glories are on the naughty list for chickens. It is toxic to people so prob not good for chooks although sometimes birds can handle things that people can't. That being said, I do always have morning glories and moonflower vines (same family) growing in the yard and they shed seeds everywhere. I am pretty sure the chooks have gotten a few here and there. I wouldn't grow and feed them to them though and wouldn't grow them in a pen where it is the only green thing around because then they would eat it for sure lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by