Morning lineup!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Noble Rooster, May 12, 2010.

1. Noble Rooster

Noble Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    So this morning I was just about finished taking care of the girls, had let them go hunt worms in the pouring rain, and was winding things up when one of them (my favorite one, who is a little snugglebug) asked to be picked up. Of course I obliged, and she nestled into my arms and closed her eyes while I rubbed her head, ears, and back. She totally made herself at home and was in my arms for probably close to 25 minutes. The other girls, meanwhile, generally entertained themselves in our barn until I was close to the 25 minute mark with cuddling the first girl. Then I felt someone looking at me; I looked down and 2 of the others were looking up, asking to be picked up, too!! So I put the first girl down gently (she was in such a snuggle coma that she could barely find her feet) and picked up the next girl in line. She just wanted a quick cuddle, and when she was done the next girl was ready. So I cuddled her, and the first girl got back in line for Cuddle Round 2. At that point I had been out there for close to an hour and a half and was absolutely starving, so the cuddling had to be paused while I went in to eat breakfast.

I clearly need longer arms/a bigger lap to accommodate the demand for chicken snuggles. [​IMG]

2. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    How sweet! [​IMG]

3. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Before having chickens, I would never even imagined that this could happen. I had my two wyandotts snuggling on my shoulder the other night and I felt blessed. I don't think I'll be able to eat them now.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I know exactly how you feel...[​IMG] They can be so sweet, can't they? Yet when you tell others (others being those poor saps who know nothing of the joys of chicken tending....lol), they look at you like you're nuts... [​IMG] When I'm stressed, my spouse will tell me I need to "Go cuddle a chicken" until I calm down [​IMG]

5. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Can you all tell me, were they always cuddley since they were chicks? Mine are 4.5 weeks old right now. I have one of the six that will let me hold her, but the others scream if I cuddle them. They all will hop on my hand and sit in my lap, but I want to hug them! Will they get better as they get older?

6. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They should if you keep working with them dear. And let them scream all they want. It's like little children when you want them to do something they don't want to do. They'll hoot and holler about it as long as they think doing so will have their desired effect on you. But the minute you show them that it won't do them any good, they usually stop their hollering. I have a few like that myself. Chickens that is. They'll scream bloody murder when I first pick them up, but, once I have them comfortably arranged in my arms, they soon calm down. By the time I release them, they've completely forgotten what their objection to the whole affair was! [​IMG] You just have to be calm and persistent. [​IMG]

7. Noble Rooster

Noble Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    I second what Serrin says. I've handled my girls since we got them, but it's only been within the past 4 months that they've begun to really get into the concept of being cuddled. Before they'd tolerate it for a few minutes but then they had other stuff to do. [​IMG] The fact that they were still pretty young probably had something to do with it, too. We turned the corner when it got cold last fall and they realized that being cuddled was also a way to be warm. Only 4 of my six like it, however. Our dominant girl lets us pick her up but doesn't want to be stroked/petted/cuddled because it ruins her rep. [​IMG] The other one gets nervous about being held close, but lets us stroke her while she sits on my forearm, falcon-style. Just keep working at it a little at a time and you'll have your snugglebugs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by