1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Morning of Day 27 and I'm worried

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Courthamilton, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Courthamilton

Courthamilton Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Bearden, AR
    Okay,I know for sure I have 2 eggs moving like crazy since yesterday but they haven't externally pipped yet. I have 14 in. They're mixed breeds as the friend that gave them to me has several breeds but I dont recall any Muscovy, I know they take longer.. This is my FIRST EVEar incubation/hatch and I am so stressed over it I cannot sleep at night. Just tell me I'm crazy and over reacting.

2. Courthamilton

Apr 14, 2016
    Bearden, AR
    I'm using a LG 9300 without a fan. I done a dry incubation, misted them once a day at lunch and left the bator open 10-15mins. I turned them three times a day too. Air cells look good except two are rather small, but there wasnt much yolk left at all when we went into lockdown so I wanted to give them a chance. My humidity has been giving me problems, the highest I've been able to get it is 64%. I have 2 sponges in it and all the channels FULL. The temp is a steady 98.5° but I will literally CRY if I lose them all.... I AM STRESSING!

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    First of all, do you have seperate thermometers/hygrometers in the bator that you KNOW are accurate? The display for the 9300 is notorious for being off, (many times by 3 degrees on temp and the hygrometer on it is fairly useless on the majrity of them.) 98.5 is low for still air, has it been that low for the whole incubation?

4. Courthamilton

Apr 14, 2016
    Bearden, AR
    Well, tell me what it should be! I'm open to suggestions! I have a dial operated temp/humidity gauge in with it that is a lot closer to accurate than my digital one on the bator.

5. Courthamilton

Apr 14, 2016
    Bearden, AR
    I've probably killed them all or something. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Courthamilton

Apr 14, 2016
    Bearden, AR
    Do you have a suggestion on how to get humidity up? Forgot to say I also added a towel underneath it. I have one plug in and the one closest to the thermometer is open. I know they should both be open but one has stayed in for humidity reasons.

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Still air should run 101-102 taken near the tops of the eggs. I use sponges in mine atop of the wire at egg level. That way when I need a humidity boost I can pull out a sponge and rewet it and stick it back in. I also add a small container under the screen in the corner with water in it when I fill my wells at lockdown. The inside hygrometer is reading 64%? That's not awful. I like mine 5-10% higher, but that's to compensate from my meddling during hatch.

If your temp has been a bit low for the incubation, you could just see a delay in hatch time.

8. Courthamilton

Apr 14, 2016
    Bearden, AR
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] Good luck! I hope they hatch for you.

10. Courthamilton

Apr 14, 2016
    Bearden, AR
    Me too! If they dont,I will lose it. Poor babies, they didn't sign up for a uneducated mom!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by