Morning Surprise

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lacey1988, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Woke up this morning to the sound of my grandmother beating on my door yelling DOGS KILLING YOUR CHICKENS! So I go running out there no shoes no glasses with only a broom in my hand and my aunt was by the the pens shouting at me to go this way and that. I only saw one so I chased it around the pen a couple of times then it ran away. After it left I noticed another one was in the pen with my dead banny roo. I saw red. I hollered at my aunt to fetch me the gun. Shot it once, bullet jammed Shot it another time, bullet jammed again soo I cussed then ran to the house and called my mother told her about the now wounded dog and asked her for her gun...NO bullets ugh sooo I said well I'll just try one more time bullet slide in good and well...you know the rest

WARNING IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    [​IMG]

Was in the pen with the roo
    [​IMG]

I do not tolerate dogs killing chickens...and no I do not feel bad just look at my poor rooster.. The police won't do anything about this and we have no animal control around here.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. cntrywmnkw

cntrywmnkw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    Sorry for the loss of your bird, but a hardy CONGRATS on killing that dog. I totally agree with you about killing ANY dogs that come on your property & attack your animals. I had a pack of 4 dogs come on my property & kill 2 of my chickens before I could get my gun. My DBF & I feel the same way & do NOT hesitate to shoot ANY dog(s) that set paw on our property. We have several weapons at the ready at all times for such things. Do you have any idea who owned that dog?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What can I say? I’ve been through that before. My problem is not with the neighbor’s dogs but with people dropping dogs off in the country for the good life. That usually involves them getting eaten by coyotes or starving to death, but occasionally they get shot. When I can, I check them for phone numbers on collars or catch them and take them to the pound where I can drop them off for free, but if they kill my chickens, well, I won’t let them be a problem to others.

I’ve never enjoyed killing anything, whether it is processing a chicken for my table or permanently removing dogs that are a real threat. But you do what you have to do.

4. Lacey1988

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Well I hate to say this but shooting it made me feel tons better and I wish I could have gotten the other one

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Wow! I felt your rage from here! Can't blame you. Since the dog is wearing a collar is there any ID?

6. Lacey1988

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Unfortunately no but we have a pretty good idea who their owner is

7. Gallus Sapien

Gallus Sapien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Sorry for your loss. You should get your gun looked at before you need it again[​IMG]

8. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I don't what the laws are were you are but I would check the collar for owner ship and give them the option of coming and paying for your loss! And then when you get some free time I would clean my gun!

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If it was running with another dog, there is always the chance it will be back. You might want to check your fencing to be ready.

I don't know how you want to handle it with your neighbor. You can ask for compensation for the dead chicken or just let it go. You can let him know what happened or you can follow the SSS method. That's Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up. As many people in your family that knows about it the Shut up part may be hard. I don't know your relationship with your neighbors or that one in particular.

I know you did not do anything wrong but your life may get a little difficult. I also don't know the laws in Mississippi, they are different in every state, but hang on to those photos. Those are proof that you were protecting your property and may become quite valuable. If you don't have those, he may try to get you to pay for his dog. That's happened before some places.

10. Disa

Disa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    I know how you feel. A couple of weeks ago, I had 2 dogs that came onto the property and harrassed my rabbits. They couldn't get to them but the poor rabbits didn't know that and they both tore their little feet up scurring around in their cages. I fired shots in the air to run the dogs off and after several shots they did leave.

The next day...at almost the exact same time, the dogs came back. I saw them coming through the barbed wire fence from the kitchen window. By the time I got the .22 outside they were all over the chicken run. This time, I was shooting to kill...but I don't think I hit either dog.

On the good side, they've not been back. I don't know if I simply scared them off for good, if they were killed by someone else who was also having problems with them or if their owners just started putting them up. Don't really care...but I kept the .22 loaded and at the ready!

So sorry about your loss...but REAL impressed at your shooting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by