1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Morning trail ride Not for the faint of heart pic added. ;)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Florida chick, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Ck the last page.. I added my ummmm cowboy. LOL

Our DD on her Arab, Hubby on my Percheron and I was on his crazy Paint! LOL [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  2. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Nice horses!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants a draft horse to ride!! [​IMG]

3. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    You have very pretty horses!

Nice horses!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants a draft horse to ride!!

We have a draft to ride too [​IMG]

4. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    What gorgeous equines you have! Makes me want to dust off the saddle.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Here in CT it would cost me a weeks pay to take a morning ride.

Nice way to start a day. [​IMG]

6. Florida chick

Jan 19, 2008
    I am sorry purple chicken [​IMG] We are from NJ and MA so I hear ya! That is why we bought a big farm down south. [​IMG] 10 horses, cattle, BIRDS BIRDS BIRDS, kids, dogs , cats Peafowl. Wish you were closer I would let you ride.

7. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    What is the Perchie crossed with? He is Pretty!

8. Florida chick

Jan 19, 2008
    Nothing she is a Purebred Percheron. You just don't see many Dapple Bays. [​IMG] Some registries only accept those two colors, though chestnut, sorrel, and bay colors are acceptable for registration in the US with a DNA test confirming their parentage. Gray and black are produced by dominant genes. The red gene for chestnut is recessive, and a red foal can only result from the mating of two black horses if they are heterozygous, having the red gene present in both sire and dam, and even then it is only a one in four chance that a chestnut will be produced. (See equine coat color genetics)

Some Percherons have white markings on the head and feet, but excessive white is undesirable.

[edit] Height and weight
    Percherons range in height from 15 to 19 hands high, most are between 16-2 and 17-3 hands high. They can weigh up to 2,600 pounds with the average around 1,900. One of the tallest horses on record was a Percheron named Dr Le Gear. Foaled in 1902, he stood 21.1 hands (7 feet) at the withers and weighed just under 1,370 kg.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:That is so sweet of you to say and offer. Now I can have wonderful daydreams as I
    go work on the coops. [​IMG]

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Wow what beautiful horses. Nice to have a morning ride. I have a Tennessee Walker and a gaited mule. Nice pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by