Moscovoy ducks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by The Coff, Mar 26, 2017.

1. The Coff

The Coff New Egg

Mar 26, 2017
    I've taken on 2 female Muscovy ducks today. I've never kept ducks before only chickens. I do have a Pekin male who is also free range and spends most of the time in the river and comes to my back door at feeding time. The 2 Muscovoy's are 9 months old and currently on my patio where they seem to be comfortable. How long before I can open my patio gate and let them live like the Pekin fella? Thanks for any advise.

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! Unfortunately, I don't know much about ducks. But folks in the duck forum certainly do!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

If you ever have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask! Or you can just hop over to the Learning Center:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And if you want to chat with other poultry lovers near you, just check this forum out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

I hope you enjoy BYC! Best wishes! [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, The Coff, and :welcome! Great to have you in our flock! Looks like RodNTN gave you some great links to explore so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :woot

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

The duck forum folks should be able to answer your questions. Hope you're enjoying them!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There is a chance if you let your others loose, they may take off with the drake.

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Do you have a coop for your birds? They should really have a coop they can be locked into at night or you will eventually lose them to predators. However you have them penned, I would keep them locked in for at least a few weeks.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under The Coff [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points and I know nothing about ducks, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by