Moscovy Duck Will Likely Lose Both Feet - what to expect?

TheSmallestEgg

Songster
Mar 22, 2018
Oswego, New York
A few weeks ago I posted about my Moscovy Duck acting weird. Eating, drinking, pooping normally, but seeming ruffled and off balance.

After putting him inside and watching him, he seemed to have perked up after a few days. We put him back out with his friends. Then he seemed off again. Inside he went, but no visible problems. Just a lot of sitting.

Well, earlier this week he came inside for what I imagine is the last time, as he likely won't be rejoining the flock in any unsupervised capacity ever again, as he cannot really stand. I'm shocked I didn't realize I earlier but his feet are already black in color, so it didn't tip me off before and I remember checking his feet and seeing no visible change. I think because the frost bite is partial and I saw him curl his toes it wasn't as apparent as now.

Looking at the feet, I'm guessing he will lose a majority of toes on both. I can tell it is hard for him to stand, he tries and is full of energy otherwise, and he can slowly stand up and balance now, but I doubt he can feel the actual feet. He's an inside boy now, and he gets tons of baths which he loves, because 1. They're baths, and 2. No pressure or weight on the toes. He continues to preen and eat and drink and is turning 4 soon. I hatched him out and I intend to give him the best life I possibly can. I just want to know what I should prepare for in the future. I've seen some chickens lose toes, but never entire feet. We've had a long long spell of freezing temps and snow. I thought everyone was dry and had shelter and heat but these guys free range a lot and I understand these things happen and now I need to adapt.

Any advice is welcome.

A few weeks ago I posted about my Moscovy Duck acting weird. Eating, drinking, pooping normally, but seeming ruffled and off balance.

After putting him inside and watching him, he seemed to have perked up after a few days. We put him back out with his friends. Then he seemed off again. Inside he went, but no visible problems. Just a lot of sitting.

Well, earlier this week he came inside for what I imagine is the last time, as he likely won't be rejoining the flock in any unsupervised capacity ever again, as he cannot really stand. I'm shocked I didn't realize I earlier but his feet are already black in color, so it didn't tip me off before and I remember checking his feet and seeing no visible change. I think because the frost bite is partial and I saw him curl his toes it wasn't as apparent as now.

Looking at the feet, I'm guessing he will lose a majority of toes on both. I can tell it is hard for him to stand, he tries and is full of energy otherwise, and he can slowly stand up and balance now, but I doubt he can feel the actual feet. He's an inside boy now, and he gets tons of baths which he loves, because 1. They're baths, and 2. No pressure or weight on the toes. He continues to preen and eat and drink and is turning 4 soon. I hatched him out and I intend to give him the best life I possibly can. I just want to know what I should prepare for in the future. I've seen some chickens lose toes, but never entire feet. We've had a long long spell of freezing temps and snow. I thought everyone was dry and had shelter and heat but these guys free range a lot and I understand these things happen and now I need to adapt.

Any advice is welcome.
You should check the other birds feet if you havent already. Im not sure how a duck would live without feet. If he loses a few toes I think he will still be okay though.

I am suspect of your diagnosis. If it was a mallard derived breed i would say its probably not frostebite but i dont have experience with miscovy. How cold did it get? Did he have dry bedding?

You should check the other birds feet if you havent already. Im not sure how a duck would live without feet. If he loses a few toes I think he will still be okay though.

Everyone else is okay, small ducks and chickens included. Im hopeful that he won't lose too much. Either way, he would live inside. I would consider something like prosthetics, but I plan to care for him as an inside animal if he can't walk. I can't watch him all day and I wouldn't want him to get bullied.
I mean you could probably make shoes, I know they do with penguins, but not sure how you would keep them from holding water against his skin if he has access to swimming
If I did that, I would think they'd need to be removable so he can dry off. He can definitely move his legs but the toes don't look great. I'll look into it to prepare. Thank you :)

I am suspect of your diagnosis. If it was a mallard derived breed i would say its probably not frostebite but i dont have experience with miscovy. How cold did it get? Did he have dry bedding?
Really? I've heard or read of ducks getting frostbite before. I didn't realize it was uncommon. It was in the single digits here, with quite the wind chill for over a month, and unfortunately it snowed for the majority of that month. The birds do have dry bedding and cover WITH heat. I'm honestly not sure how this happened with this guy. It could've been that in the beginning when he was first off he did get hurt, got into a scuffle, whatever variety of things, which caused him to sit out in the snow for an extended period of time. I work full time, so I can only guess, and I'm trying not to because it's already extremely upsetting and I can't change it now. All I can do is provide the best possible quality of life I can considering the circumstances.

Ducks have special circlitory systems in their feet to keep them from freezing and minimize heat loss. Idk If moscovy have this or not but my ducks sleep outside on the snow most nights until -10f then i make them go inside the coop. Their feet are fine. Lots of people post sick duck pictures but i have never seen a post wth frostbite. I know a guy who lives about 200 miles from me and it gets between -40 and -50 for extended periods and his ducks are fine. You should post pictures

Ducks have special circlitory systems in their feet to keep them from freezing and minimize heat loss. Idk If moscovy have this or not but my ducks sleep outside on the snow most nights until -10f then i make them go inside the coop. Their feet are fine. Lots of people post sick duck pictures but i have never seen a post wth frostbite. I know a guy who lives about 200 miles from me and it gets between -40 and -50 for extended periods and his ducks are fine. You should post pictures
This website has multiple threads of people with ducks who got frostbite on their legs and with moscovys, they're also susceptible in their face.
I am happy for you and your friend! I would only hope that more animals make it through rough winters. For me, this is my personal first duck with frostbite but it is not my first experience.
I can post pictures of course, and I'm happy to hear any other ideas you might have of what can cause my duck to function completely normally but not be able to move or use his toes. It would only be a better scenario if he didn't end up losing parts of his feet.

Back
Top Bottom