Mosquito Control???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FarmerGrant011, Oct 29, 2011.

1. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Which are the best breeds for eating mosquitoes?? I have heard that muscovies are.. But I don't like the way they look. Are there any other breeds???

2. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Upshur County, Texas
    As far as I know all ducks have a fondness for mosquitoes and their larva.
    The following breeds are considered excellent foragers: aussie spotted, calls, east indies, and mallards for bantams; campbells, runners, harlequins and magpies for lightweights; and anconas for medium. muskies are the only "excellent" forager for heavy breeds but all ducks will work down your bugs to some extent.

3. wackwack

wackwack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    south east ireland
    in ireland we only have little mosquito's, but they still bite bad and are mean and horrible to my horses!
    This evening while going through my usual rouine to get my 4 ducks (2x runner 2x pekin) to bed at dusk, i was getting eaten alive, and the ducks were in heaven, usually they go straight to bed when its time but tonight they totally ignored me for about 20 mins while they were busy eating all the bug-gers! i never saw them so enthusiastic, so i can say they will definatly LOVE the bigger ones too!!!

4. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

Muscovy like many other ducks are great for bug control , and mosquito's are a favorite for the muscovy..
    they may not be too pretty to some but the muscovy has a great personality, they wag their tails, they
    talk quietly to you and many will let you pet on them, all these things like a dog....they really are a great duck!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:X2 could have said it better myself.

6. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I thought my scovies were ugly when i first got them, but now i am completley used to them, i kind of think they are more beautiful than my welsh harlequins. The muscovies are the only ones i see going for bugs in the air and in the grass, the WH and Pekin just kind of sit there and wait for food time..

7. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ya.. I guess there cute. I'm going to get some "scovies"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by