Mosquito Problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quackers619, Sep 25, 2016.

1. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    Has anyone ever used this product? it says it is safe for animals but i wanna make sure its safe for ducks. or is there anything people use for mosquito's that is not harmful for ducks

[​IMG]
    Any ideas would be great thanks

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I don't know about that product, I'm sorry. We're strictly organic here, so chose a different way of controlling them. We bought a Skeeter Vac for out back, and added bat houses to the property. Now that we have lots of bats, we put away the skeeter vac, it's not needed as the bats take care of all the mosquitoes for us.

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Where is the standing water you are concerned about? Trying to picture the setup.

I have used goldfish and minnows in rain barrels and that's worked well.

And I have put mosquito dunks in rain barrels that are not used for duck water - neither drinking or swimming - just used to water the garden.

I think I would contact the manufacturer.

1 person likes this.
  4. quackers619

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    Bats and minnows that is a great idea........ we have lots of bats around here so getting them to move into our yard would be cool and little fish around to eat the larva that would be cool too[​IMG] One last question ideas on flys

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  5. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    We use DE in the coop and run. We scoop the poop decks daily and DE the floors. That keeps flies to a minimum, and our girls do a great job of insect control as well.

6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Bats would be the best option as one bat can eat up to 1000 mosquitos

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I use hanging fly traps - the kind that come with a packet of attractant, you add warm water and hang a little distance from the ducks and the people. The more flies that find it and die, the more aromatic it becomes, so it attracts and kills more flies . . .

And - fly predators - tiny little critters that look like miniature gnats to my eye, they go after fly larvae - I put the packet in a hanging planter under the eave of the duck house, and one under the eave near the night pen door. I have put a sprinkling of the predator cocoons in a shallow dish with a duck poop on a shelf in the night pen, just to see if it helped. The ducks cannot get to any of those spots, but they are close enough to where the poo is to be effective.

This approach has made a tremendous difference. Adding chopped straw to the outdoor duck pen, fluffing it up a bit, also seems to help (wet poo seems to be a favorite of flies).

8. quackers619

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    Thanks for the help..... We had 3 pekins for a little over a year they were much more adventures and good pest control however do to someones dogs we lost all three...... and our new ducks are not as good one is blind so she likes food that does not move and her sister is the same way the other two like bugs and stuff but mud is more their thing and these four like to stay in a small area by the back door between us and the dogs and we are good with that because they are safe so we need other ways to help with the flies and now i have so good ideas .........by the way what is DE

9. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Diatomaceous Earth.

1 person likes this.
  10. quackers619

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    Thanks for that info i just watched a video........That is some good stuff[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by