Mosquito spraying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bigburd1979, May 24, 2016.

1. bigburd1979

bigburd1979 New Egg

Aug 10, 2015
    Does anybody know if it safe to have their property sprayed for mosquitos if they have chickens? We are completely invaded by mosquitos it's so bad we can't go outside at any time of the day without being attacked. I was going to call the county and have them come spray but didn't want to if it could hurt our chickens! Any help on this would be appreciated.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Find out what insecticide is being used, and then decide. I'm a fan of using repellants rather than killing every bug in the area, but circumstances differ. Mary

3. amandamade

amandamade New Egg

Feb 11, 2016
    Round Rock, TX
    I would like to spray a can of the store bought Cutter or Off to kill mosquitos but am concerned about them eating the dead ones...!! Surely that wouldn't be enough to harm the chickens.... Right...??
    We are desperate here in central Texas . The repellents are not working and neither is the torch citronella..!!
    Anyone know...?

4. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I know people who do it in our community and they have chickens. Of course, these are 10 acre lots or bigger. We put Sevin dust on chickens, so I would think that certain pesticides would be OK, if not exactly good. Do some research and see what you can find out.

5. pauleberly

pauleberly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Look into a thermacell. I use the handheld ones when I go hunting and they work great.

They make big porch style ones. Thermacells do work and work very well. If they is a strong or constant wind it will be less effective tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by