1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mosquitoes and Chicks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by microbiomom, Oct 21, 2009.

1. microbiomom

microbiomom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    South Alabama
    I am planning to put my babies out in a few weeks. We have mosquitoes slurping til nearly December sometimes. Will this be bad for them? I know the health dept. are using chickens as sentinels for West Nile and encephalitis viruses, but I guess they are considered "working birds." Any guidance?
    Thanks

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I know that West Nile virus doesn't cause illness in chickens; I'm not sure about encephalitis, though.

In any event, chickens are bothered by mosquito bites just like we are; they are protected to a great degree by their feathers, but can get bitten around their eyes and on their legs, especially as they roost at night. In the daytime, many chickens gobble mosquitoes right up.

If you really want to pamper your birds, you could put mosquito screens on your coop vents/windows.

3. BayMinetteChickenMom

BayMinetteChickenMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Hey, Micro, glad to see some other South Alabamians on the forum. I've had my chickens out since August. There are always some mosquitoes around the coop, but then there are always some mosquitoes around somewhere. The chickens seem to be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by