Mosquitoes & Flies

kaitkait

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Arizona
I'm in Arizona and it's starting to heat up here, which means flies and mosquitoes.

We have eight chickens and two ducks, they free range our backyard the whole day and are locked in their coop at night. With all their poop all over the yard or attracts tons and tons of flies. I walked out there this morning and I felt like there was a swarm.

We also have a small kiddie pool for our two ducks. I'd like to get a bigger pool or pond but we don't have the money at the time. I will normally dump out the pool and refill every two to three days but I'm worried about mosquitoes, I've already seen a few. It's not a deep pool, it's like two feet deep, lot sure how many gallons or anything. My questions is what are my options for preventing the mosquitoes? I know they'll be attracted to breed there. Do fish work- I'm not sure about putting fish in a small pool like that.

Thank you! Any help is appreciated.

I'm not sure about the mosquitoes but for flies I spray down my coop with the fly spray that I use on my horse. Just make sure the chickens are out of the coop when you spray it and don't get the spray in the food or water. Spray down the coop every day and the flies shouldn't bother you as much.

Dumping the duck water every couple days is good nuff because it takes them about 10 days to go from mosquitoe egg to adult.
Us country people have this wonderful form of entertainment called a bug zapper that we sit around and watch at night when the tv station goes off the air after the national anthem.

I'm in Arizona and it's starting to heat up here, which means flies and mosquitoes.

We have eight chickens and two ducks, they free range our backyard the whole day and are locked in their coop at night. With all their poop all over the yard or attracts tons and tons of flies. I walked out there this morning and I felt like there was a swarm.

We also have a small kiddie pool for our two ducks. I'd like to get a bigger pool or pond but we don't have the money at the time. I will normally dump out the pool and refill every two to three days but I'm worried about mosquitoes, I've already seen a few. It's not a deep pool, it's like two feet deep, lot sure how many gallons or anything. My questions is what are my options for preventing the mosquitoes? I know they'll be attracted to breed there. Do fish work- I'm not sure about putting fish in a small pool like that.

Thank you! Any help is appreciated.
If you put fish in the duck pond - they won't stay around long.

Back
Top Bottom