Mosquitoes....help please

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by aquafarmerri, Nov 4, 2016.

1. aquafarmerri

aquafarmerri Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2016
    WAKEFIELD RI
    I just came home from being away all week, the girls were fine, but in opening up the carport the houses the brooder of was full of flying [​IMG] along with mosquitoes little tiny flying bugs that look like they have red tips on their butts...

I don't want to use chemicals but I don't want them to bother the girls and they were attaching me when I went in to open it up...[​IMG]

Any idea why, it's too cold outside to have all these bugs, but it's really warm inside the carport.

What do you do about getting rid of them?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  2. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

do you know of any openings in the carport? i don't like using chemicals either. maybe i suggest keeping a light away from the carport? where do you think they are getting in at?

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Make sure that you are changing out the water in the chicken waterers, because they are perfect mosquito larva habitat! I rinse mine out at least three times weekly, and don't just top them off. Some permethrin spray would be a good idea, and repellant on you, too keep from being bitten. Mary

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably a bloom/hatch caused by the recent warm spell and won't last long.
    Leave the doors to the carport open to air it out and cool it down.
    Chances are it's not a bug that will harm the birds.
    A fan can deter flying insects, especially mosquitoes.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  5. aquafarmerri

Oct 17, 2016
    WAKEFIELD RI

Hi Mary they drink the whole water feeder twice a day there is never water standing around...they are like paranaha when it comes to water...what's the spray that you are speaking of? Is it safe is it organic?

6. aquafarmerri

Oct 17, 2016
    WAKEFIELD RI
    It's a shelter logic carport so it's not really sealed at all as in airtight ....just hold the heat in well from the heat lamp...

7. aquafarmerri

Oct 17, 2016
    WAKEFIELD RI
    So I just went out to fill the water and close the brooder for the night...I left the carport open all day and I swear they have multiplied by 10 since this morning....I don't know what to do...

8. aquafarmerri

Oct 17, 2016
    WAKEFIELD RI

It's awful tomorrow I will try to get a picture for you to see...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by