Mosquitoes in coop -

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Don B, May 8, 2008.

1. Don B

Don B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    How do I control mosquitoes inside the coop? I have a broody setting now, so I am concerned about spraying anything. The mosquitoes seem to congregate in the nesting material. I know they are biting the chickens, and that cannot be good (disease, etc). I need some help on this one!

2. gypsygirl1421

gypsygirl1421 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Albany, NY
    If you can locate standing water, try to use the Mosquito dunks. That will help prevent populations from erupting from those sources (see below) also the cold foggers work well. Mosquito control is a good idea, because some chickens are suseptible to West Nile Virus, while others develope antibodies to it.

complete mosquito control program not only eliminates breeding sources but also includes long-term prevention (using Mosquito Dunks in bird baths, fish ponds, drainage ditches or storm drains, lakes, pet water dishes and other mosquito breeding grounds) and short-term knock down of mosquito larvae (Mosquito Bits) and adult mosquitoes (fogging areas on your property to kill adult insect pests.) The evening before or morning of outdoor activities (parties, cook outs, wedding receptions) use Mosquito & Gnat Scat to help repel any flying insects from the area.

Cold Foggers - These types of fogging units do not require insecticides to burn in order to create a mist or fog. This type of fog is considered cleaner and can be used indoors and outdoors to kill unwanted flying or biting pests. B&G Electric Foggers are the choice of professionals who frequently fog homes, restaurants, warehouses, patios and other selected outdoor areas.

3. Kellerina

Kellerina New Egg

May 8, 2008
    I don't know if it actually works but I put fabric softener sheets in my coop. Read to do this once and I figured it couldn't hurt. Might be worth a try for you.

4. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:I've heard that Bounce is the best for this....

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Me too! plus, it works on us humans if we rub it on our skin and clothes before going outside. I guess mosquitoes don't like things that smell clean, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by