Mosquitoes in the coup!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by meflint1989, Jun 2, 2017.

1. meflint1989

meflint1989 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2017
    Suffolk, VA
    What can I do about mosquitoes in my chicken coup?!

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Mosquitos love damp -- and open, standing water. What sort of waterer are you using? Nipple waterers are the most effective at addressing water leakage causing dampness in the coop and don't provide any open/standing water to draw the insects in. What is the area surrounding your coop like - any damp/swampy areas or containers with standing water (as little as a teaspoon)?

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In my setting it is not practical to limit habitat for aquatic life stages as they can fly from outside areas I can treat. Therefore most of my birds have to just deal with it.

A trick I have played with might be worth considering. Modify coop to operate like an arm pit which is a good scent trap. Make so birds in what approximates an inverted bowl where the roost is in the upper part of the volume. Then make so the repellent goes up into bowl where it is not dissipated as quickly.

5. GGBEAR

GGBEAR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    are you guys all from the US as I don't seem to have this issue and I have chickens and ducks living together and at times it gets really damp from weather and.that I'm from.uk

6. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

You could always hang a bug zapper with a mosquito bait, high enough the birds can't touch it. Turn it on at dusk for an hour or two. The chicks will have a nice snack when they get up in the morning. :drool

7. jeria

jeria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2017
    Independence MO
    Try finding all natural vanilla scents from probably a natural food store. Chemical scents are not good for birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by