Mosquitoes on eggs in the nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CoopMad21, Sep 11, 2015.

1. CoopMad21

CoopMad21 Hatching

Apr 26, 2012
    I started my chicken family back in March and I started with younger chickens as I wanted them to grow to like me. LOL

Anyway, my hens have just come to the age of laying eggs. I am finding mosquitoes clinging to the eggs in the nesting boxes. I have to wave them off. I am wondering if these eggs are still safe to eat and what can I do to keep them off of my eggs and out of my nesting boxes.

Veronica[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. QuoVadis

QuoVadis Chirping

Sep 15, 2013
    Do you know Veronica (if that name is for the blue with red EE) is a male?

3. CoopMad21

CoopMad21 Hatching

Apr 26, 2012
    My name is Veronica. LOL

I was originally told that it was a hen, but I found him mating with the other chickens. Then my rooster would quickly follow his lead. He actually started crowing last Thursday. Her name was, as I had two grey chickens, tweedle dee and the other tweedle dum. Now, he is known as Rico Swuave, but we call him Rico. He is a very pretty rooster.

My adult rooster is named "Big Red" and the full red RIR chicken is named "Little Red". I still have tweedle dee and I have two RIR with blonde in them and they are called Thing 1 and thing 2. I really couldn't think of names, but they were like having sets of twins: two grey and two red with blonde.

4. tjs07b

tjs07b In the Brooder

Sep 15, 2016
    Nashville
    I know this is an old thread, but I've experienced the same thing with mosquitos sitting on my eggs when I open the nesting box. Anyone know if this is something to worry about?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nothing to worry about.

6. tjs07b

tjs07b In the Brooder

Sep 15, 2016
    Nashville
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: