Mosquitoes VS. Chickens

Smeamers

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
Last year was horrendous around here as far as mosquitoes go (midwest flooding). We spent most of the summer not even wanting to go outside because they were so bad. I've gotten a few bites already this season, so I'm expecting them to be worse than normal again this year. So I'm wondering if having my new chickens around this summer will put a dent in the mosquito population. Obviously, they'll only have whatever flies into their coop and run, but does anyone notice a reduction in the mosquito problem after getting chickens? Conversely, will I be providing a buffet of chicken blood for the skeeters, or do their feathers keep the mosquitoes from being able to bite? I'm just curious to see if the chickens effect things one way or the other.

I would like to know myself.... Remeber ariound the yard not to leave stagnant water in contianers as this is prime breeding ground for skeets... We had a flood here last year and they got to be horrendous...

Mosquitoes can bite chickens; they're the West Nile vector. I live in an area with a tremendous # of them, and they don't seem to cause harm. I will thoroughly screen the openings on my coop, though.

They are starting to get bad here already in NW Georgia, I like to build a fire in a metal barrel in the afternoon at dark close to my chicken coops the smoke seems to help knock them back until the night air gets cool. Also build lots of Bat houses the more brown bats you see the better, they eat up to 1000 skitters a night each!

Quote:
I'm super vigilant about standing water in our yard and I put mosquito dunks in the water I can't do anything about (gutters, exposed tree roots, ect), but we live in an area with some small lakes and marshy ponds, so they have plenty of places to breed. I've got my fingers crossed that the chickens will feast on as many as they can! We built a bat house last year, but we're still waiting on the area bats to take up residence.

I don't know really. We do have Muscovy ducks and they are good for eating mosquitos.

BTW, I was at Target today picking up mosquito spray and a lot of the stuff that's normaly $4.50 or so was like $1.12. I stocked up.

I have seen chicks eat mosquitoes, but they never made a dent in the overall population.
Last year I caught hundreds of tadpoles and brought them to my property that has swampy areas. There are lot of frogs there now so i am hoping they will make a difference.
As to the West Nile threat, I assume if the mosquito has it and manages to bite the bird, you will have a dead bird. The Health Dept wants to check any dead Crows and Blue Jays that are found. These birds fly high, chickens must be more vulnerable.

How about bug lights.... everywhere.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom