1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mosquitoes!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by craftyredhead, Aug 31, 2015.

1. craftyredhead

craftyredhead New Egg

May 6, 2014
    Bonham, Tx
    Hi! We've got a small 50sqft hen house for our laying hens, and lately every time we open the main door or the nest box hatches we get attacked by a small cloud of mosquitos. I make my own soap, so I have a ton of essential oils on hand, and I know that quite a few repel mosquitoes, but I don't know which ones are safe to be around chickens and a turkey.
    I'm open to any other way to get rid of the mosquitoes as well, but we do prefer to stay pretty natural here. Thanks for your help!

2. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Correct me if i am wrong, but aren't essential oils made from natural ingredients? I make candles and i think that fragrance oils are not made from natural ingredients(unsafe around chickens) and essential oils are made from natural ingredients(safe to use around chickens).

3. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
  4. craftyredhead

craftyredhead New Egg

May 6, 2014
    Bonham, Tx
    Hey waddles! I know some oils aren't good around certain animals/people, like peppermint oil isn't recommended around pregnant women, etc. I wasn't sure if there were any that chickens might react badly to.
    Thanks redbeard, I'll look at that!

5. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Yeah, i wasn't sure about that one. I think redbeard has a good idea. I was also going to also suggest horse fly spray, but that fan idea looks better.

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Funny, just had the same issue.

I ran a leaf blower almost every time I entered the coop for a while...

First time this was ever an issue.

My guess is that the conditions were perfect for the mosquitoes this year...

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    'Essential' oils, fragrances, can be irritating to the respiratory system, they are to mine anyway....and they don't always keep the skeeters away.
    I imagine that using enough to effect the insects, could likely bother the chickens.

Just cause it's 'natural' doesn't mean it's not toxic.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  8. craftyredhead

craftyredhead New Egg

May 6, 2014
    Bonham, Tx
    Exactly, that's why I wanted to ask you experts! :)

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You could try some in just one nest...see if the girls will go in there, and if the skeeters stay out.

1 person likes this.
  10. craftyredhead

craftyredhead New Egg

May 6, 2014
    Bonham, Tx
    Not a bad idea. I might do just a little in a corner box!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by