Mosquitoes

thaiturkey

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Thailand
We learned a lot today.

About 10 days ago we got 5 8 week old poults from neighbours. We have never had turkeys before and did what we could to learn how to take good care of them. Two had mozzie bites when we got them. I knew that was not good but they seemed to be coping. However, the wounds became infected. One was strutting his stuff just fine but the other got slow and started to limp from a foot infection. The active one had a bite under each eye and one one the leg.

My wife went to have a chat with the vet and he came straight over. He injected all five with antibiotics. Two keeled over immediately and I thought they were dead. He said that they were reacting to the injections and gave them all another one to counter the shock. All five perked up and looked fine. Tonight, the weakest two are kept separated from the others just in case there's trouble from the fitter ones. The vet gives them only a 50% chance of survival. If they do survive, they can have the delayed mosquito injections.

He gave us this advice. Our poults were not injected against mosquito bites before we had them. Buy turkeys that are almost old enough to lay. That avoids later problems from earlier bites. When the birds lay, inject the poults against mosquito bites after 7 days and repeat that annually. Keep poults under netting until two weeks after the injections. After that, the mosquitoes won't bother them. He added that mozzies are the only real problem here for turkeys but the infection can kill poults. Quite simple when you know how.

I'm very upset about this. I trusted our neighbours to have done the right thing but they did nothing for the welfare of the poults. We have told them what the vet said but they just laughed it off as unimportant. We won't let this happen to us again. In just a few days we have come to be very fond of our babies and have got to know their personalities. Now they are at risk because of a cheap-skate idiot. Fingers crossed that they survive. We now have from the vet details of professionals who can supply our next batch.

As a matter of interest, the vet's bill for 10 injections, TLC, advice and an hour of his time was 100 baht (about $3.50)! His son who came along got some ice cream money! At those prices there's no excuse for not taking good care of the babies!

Maybe next time you can get the poults right after they hatch and put up some mosquito netting over their brooder??? I grew up in the tropics and I now how thick the mosquitoes can be in a warm, humid place with lots of standing water around. When I think back on my childhood it is a wonder i have any blood left! LOL, it was normal for us though. Everyone was bitten all the time, horses, dogs, people, poultry, cattle. It just was. No one got shots, you just got bit and you don't scratch it.

i bet you're neighbor's are thai...everything is up to buddha. they seem to take deaths as a matter fact. i never even thought about them getting bitten, i see the chickens raising the chicks just fine. guess i better check with a vet over there.

I don't yet know exactly what he gave them. Getting answers to questions such as 'What exactly is the medicine he's giving them' doesn't get you far. Thais are not curious about such things (I can remember when I was very young in the UK that doctors were held in awe and never challenged with such a question) and medical words don't easily translate unless the drug has a Western brand name. I shall ask the question the next time I see the vet but I do know that the first was an antibiotic and the second may have been a mild sedative. Doctors and hospitals here are excellent so I hope the same holds good for the vets!

I'm not concerned about bird 'flu here any more than I would be elsewhere. I don't know of any cases amongst free range home stocks but it may be different in the huge battery farms. I intend to get everything by way of medication I can from the vet from now on.

Onthespot, some folk here who don't have mozzie proof homes sleep under nets that look like big golf umbrellas without the handles. I shall buy a couple for these poults and rig up a brooder for when we have eggs. That should provide a very easy way to give the poults space whilst not having to mess around with netting. Thanks for your suggestion that we buy day old poults. Certainly I shall check for bites and ask about injections if I look to buy older ones. You obviously understand what a curse the mosquitoes are. They prefer me to any Thai person and I always keep the gel handy in the evenings when we are outdoors. Fortunately, they don't carry dread diseases here but that is why I didn't react quicker when I saw that our poults had bites.

Dude, you are correct! They have turkeys, hens and ducks and don't ever see a vet. If your own birds are adult and healthy they could have the annual mozzie jab any time. The vet also gave us some advice on diet. He said that they should not be allowed to forage all day because they won't drink enough. He also confirmed that we were right to add vitamins to their water - half a sachet to 5 litres. They love small ants eggs, by the way - available on any market as I'm sure you know!

Our little ones seem fine this morning and I have fingers crossed that we have hit the infection in time. They are confined to barracks today so that we can keep an eye on them and control their diet.

glad you didn't get anything from your mosquitoes. The only thing I got was Dengue (break bone) fever one time. And I would get impetigo if I scratched the bites. We grew up rough. LOL My parents didn't even take me to the doctor for the fever, but they did let me stay home from school, alone, with 106 degree fever. How solicitous, LOLOL Times have changed, haven't they?

Quote:
Dengue is scary. You must be immune to nearly everything now! Even nowadays Thai parents often just treat their kids at home until the situation looks dire. I don't understand them - Thai nationals can get any hospital treatment they need for 30 Baht (less than $1 and not much more than half the cost of a beer).

i take lemon grass, chop it up and soak it overnight in rubbing alcohol, strain it and use it in a spray bottle for mosquito repellent. the alcohol evaporates so you might be able to use it on your turkeys. it's cheap, safe and natural so i use it on my daughter. might try it along with the mosquito netting.

i was reading in your past posts about inbreeding, there seems to be a lot more turkeys around than you'd think, if you need some fresh blood i'll look around my area for you. i'm going to buy a few toms anyway. i've found a place that is almost a private zoo...this guy even has a sun bear. he also has a lot of different breeds of chickens...also the biggest bluest hornbill i've ever seen...at least 3 ft. i saw at another place a white turkey, so they are around if you get out on the back roads.

have you thought about getting a bug zapper type light to get bugs for protein? i have an uncle that raises crickets, but they'd think you were crazy feeding them to the turkeys and not eating them yourself. the termites should be flying soon too, get a light outside and a bucket of water to catch them in. other than spending 5 baht every other day for waste vegtable leaves i don't buy any food. they eat the leftover rice from meals, plus mom in law brings them home stuff from the temple.

Quote:
Many thanks Dude.

We went to look at some turkeys yesterday but it was a wild good chase! The owner had decided that they were too difficult to rear and had given them away. He was happily restoring and modifying a Steed 400cc. We shall go to Loei when the better coop is finished as I mentioned previously. If you spot some likely birds in your area please do let me know. I would like to get birds from several sources and also see how the various experts keep them here. I think that there may be more turkeys in your area than mine. We look everywhere that we drive now in case we spot some. Asking people is, as I'm sure you know, pointless. Most don't even seem to know the name of the next village but will usually point you in one direction or another.

Bug catching is an art here when times are hard. People rig up a purple flourescent light over a vertical net with a bowl of water beneath. I might settle for the food store type instead. Come to think about it, a bug zapper in the coop might do a good job. Ant eggs are popular with our birds but they demand only the smaller ones! When the flying termites swarm they get around the back porch and car port where we leave on lights at night. I shall be glad to follow your tip and put down some water. Waste vegetable leaves are good and free from our night market. Rice they refuse.

Many thanks again for the tips!

We bought an anti-mozzie sleeping tent yesterday. Last night we pinned it down near the back porch with the poults, bedding, food and water inside. Until now we have had to constrain their night time space in order to exclude mozzies and it meant that they had no food or water. In the morning they wanted to be out foraging and so ignored the water and special food. Last night they could move around more freely and feed too. It seems to have been a good move and we'll use it in the future for young poults until they are medicated.

The vet seems to have done a good job. The bites are clearing up nicely and the birds are as cheeky as ever. Hopefully we have got away without deaths but the next few days will tell.

Back
Top Bottom