Mosquitoes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickkais67, Apr 27, 2011.

1. chickkais67

chickkais67 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    West Michigan
    I am looking to starting a backyard flock. I live next to a heavily wooded area and ussually have a very bad mosquito problem in summer. Will mosquitoes attack the chickens?

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Interesting question. I don't have that problem since I live in a wind tunnel. I would think that a birds feathers would offer them a lot of protection. However, the West Nile Virus is spread by birds who have been bitten by a mosquito so they must be affected to some degree.

3. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    My hens eat the mosquitos. They actually jump at them. Pretty funny site to see.[​IMG]

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Set up some bat houses in your wooded area, and get some ducks too. Purple Martin houses would be a safe bet as well. They gorge on mosquitoes. Then get some chickens [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yes, mosquitos will go after chickens. Mosquitos can carry all kinds of diseases. I dealt with fowl pox almost 5 years ago because of them. Preventative measures help such as a bug zapper, screening vents and entrance to your chicken house, hanging sticky fly strips in you pen. Mosquitos are most active early in the morning and late in the afternoon.

6. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    If I gotta put up with them, so do the girls.....
    Around here the "wild bird people" seem to think that purple martins knock off more dragonflies than mosquitoes, and dragonflies were designed to eat mosquitoes.....

7. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Quote:Actually purple martins eat VERY few mosquitos. They many more dragon flies that are mosquito predators. I know, I've read the report, but the peron who said they do admitted he was just guessing and had no data.

Clint

8. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Remind them a single martin eats about 10,000 mosquitos a day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by