Mosquitoes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by taprock, Jul 4, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I came home late tonight after fireworks and went to secure the windows for the night only to find both the interior and exterior of the coop covered in mosquitoes. I know the black flies can kill the chickens and I assume the mosquitoes could do the same along with the other diseases they carry. I looked up old posts and didn't really find a concrete answer besides screen. To cover all openings with screen would take a while - I have vents along the entire roof line and eaves of a 12 foot coop and I'm not a climber! I also let them free range so the doors are almost always open. I read lots of suggestions but I'm looking for things that have actually worked besides the obvious of covering all openings with screen.

2. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    If the chickens see them they should eat them.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Chickens are usually sleeping at night when mosquitoes are out in force. Mosquitoes can and often DO carry numerous diseases that are dangerous to chickens: fowl pox, various forms of encephalitis.

4. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Wow! I'm still in the process of getting chickens. We have a drainage ditch/creek that runs along the side of my property. It's fenced off, but we were planning on putting the coop there because it is the part of the yard with the most shade. Maybe I should rethink it.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    How fast does the creek run? Running water is not an issue; stagnant water is--this is where mosquitoes lay their eggs. And consider, how many mosquitoes are there near the creek versus elsewhere? Chances are that the mosquitoes will fly to where there is "food" even if they hatch at a distance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by