Mosquitos and chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gachickeeper, Jul 22, 2008.

1. gachickeeper

gachickeeper Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2008
    Middle GA
    Do mosquitos bite chickens? sorry for the newbie question. I know it seems the feathers should protect them but I know they sometimes bite through my clothing.They drive me crazy in the yard and I was just wondering about the chickens.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Yes, mosquitoes can bite chickens.

In our coop though, it's usually the bugs that get bit. We get big laughs watching the birds chase after a mosquito.

3. nhplantlady

nhplantlady New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    Yes, I too have been wondering this. At night our coop sounds like a bee hive but it is mosquitos. Since the chickens are asleep I was concerned that they might be getting bitten alot. What is DE and how does that help?

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    DE won't work for mosquitos. Just use a premise spray like home defense and spray all the walls.
    I keep wondering why there are mosquitos in my bathroom every night, and I realize that I must be bringing them in on my clothes. Or the dog are

5. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    You may need to spray the pen with a hose to wash off the larvae and maybe to a smaller waterer(don't know what size your is). I just did this yesterday and today and I'm really hoping it works.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm not sure if that will work cause mosquito eggs hatch in water, such as puddles, etc.

7. Brick Chick

Brick Chick New Egg

May 14, 2012
    what about spraying the chickens with a little tea tree oil mixed in water? would that be safe? I have two little frizzle hens and they just have mosquitos swarming all around them at night!! i don't know why they don't eat the mosquitos!!! guess they don't taste good. I thought I would try the tea tree oil but just didn't know if that would be safe to spray on them. Anybody have any other ideas?

8. Brick Chick

Brick Chick New Egg

May 14, 2012
    What is a premise spray? How do I know what I get will be safe for my chickens? I don't want to poisen them!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by