Mosquitos biting my goslings

catnip

Songster
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Nebraska
Since we've had LOTS of rain this spring, we now have billions of mosquitos. They're biting my goslings legs. Can geese get West Nile virus from mosquitos & get sick/die? Or will everything be OK?

No cases of West Nile have been reported yet, but if I need to protect Bob & Alice somehow, I want to take care of it.

Thanks!

I've never heard of it, either, but I don't see why geese would be immune to blood-born illnesses. Even if they can't get WNV, they may be able to get something else.

If you can do anything to cut down on the mosquitos then definitely do so. Feeder goldfish in stock tanks will eat the larva, round disk things dropped in water will kill mosquitos and there are certain plants that discourage mosquitos from hanging around (I don't remember the name offhand, but we have them planted all around the barn and it seems to work).

Good luck.

Thanks! I was pretty sure they'd be OK but thought I'd ask around just to make sure.

The mosquitos are so thick this year. We've spread the "dunk" thingies that help control them. But with such a wet year this year, it's a loosing battle. It's so bad, our local heath department has started spraying at dawn and dusk, weather permitting.

Yes, geese and ducks can get West Nile Virus. It may not kill them, but it can weaken their immune systems and cause secondary infections. In birds, symptoms include weakness, loss of balance, touble holding head up and lethargy. Below is a lind done by the center of disease control listing birds that are effected. I would keep using the mosquito dunks because although it may not look like it's having an effect, it will kill the larvae. I don't know how to post the link so you can just click on it and it takes you there, sorry!

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/whc/pdfs/wnvaffectedspecies.pdf

Back
Top Bottom