mosquitos

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Godsgrl, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Oh my gosh, MOSQUITOS!!! They are horrendous here. We had a ton of rain late last month, with flooding. Now the skeeters are here in full force! I mean in droves! Just bringing in groceries, I got about 100 in the van, and about 1000 in the house. And that was being careful about it too. They are everywhere, and we spent a good 30 minutes swatting them. [​IMG]

I can't stand it! The city is spraying, but something big needs to be done. [​IMG] It's unreal.

2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I havent seen any yet this year. but that might be cause of the 20+ gold fish in my back yard pond eating them all lol [​IMG]

3. ashera

ashera Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    We always tried to keep Bounce fabric sheets in our vehicles when we lived in Houston. It seemed to discourage those pests. They use to spray all the time there to. Have to wonder how good that stuff is for you to breathe and the animals. Good luck.

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Strawberry house mouse- I am having a talk with my winged vampires, and telling them to visit you, and skip the pond. [​IMG]

Ashera, I will definitely try the dryer sheets, thank you so much.

5. tn chick

tn chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    SW Tennessee
    oh no where are they [​IMG]

ewww thats what i hate about Tn those flying vampires they eat me alive i carry bug spray in my purse have bottles by each door and carry 2 bottles in truck one on each side okay its bad they eat me and ignore my husband
    i have tried the dryer sheets no luck last year looked like i had chicken pox
    i received this in a email so ill pass it on
    Mosquito Spray....Worth a try
    I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it......Pass it on.

OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    tn chick, thank you so much for the listerine suggestion. I will be sure to try this! I'm like you, mosquitos love me, they'll bite me, and leave everyone else alone. I hate it! A cheap bottle of Listerine sure beats $5.00 for a can of bug spray.

7. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Alaska's got some pretty bad mosquitos too. not to mention we have gnats, horseflies (our bite people, not sure if yours do) and noseeums. the noseeums are the worst. they are tiny and get everywhere!

good thing we don't have any yet! i feel your pain, biting insects are the worst! [​IMG]

edited to add: catnip repels mosquitoes! it won't kill 'em but it will keep them away. you can dry it and burn it or with you're awesome ingeuity you can get some catnip oil and make soap, lotion or body mist out of it! it works for me, but you gotta use ALOT of the oil for the soap to work it's magic!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  8. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Yes, we have horrible horseflies that come out in the evenings once it warms up some more. Usually you need to stay inside from about 8-9pm. After that, the bats come out, and the horseflies are gone! Those little buggers really hurt when they bite.

I came close to drowning in our pool a couple summers ago when the stupid horsefly hovered over my head when I went under. Every time I came up for a breath, he was back after me. I finally figured out I needed to swim underwater to another part of the pool.

Thanks for the catnip idea, I've never heard of that one before. I'll have to give it a try. [​IMG]

9. tn chick

tn chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    SW Tennessee
    Quote:i have seen walmart has a mosquitos plant that supposed works im going to try and grow a few buy my front porch and see how they work out.
    when we wer in az and getting ready to move here to tn i knew these things would be bad so i thought i was prepared enought bug spray that was 48 a bottle was $1 and i bought them all 15 of them haha i came armed and still got biten in the butt sneaky thats what they are.
    edited for spelling

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  10. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    is the plant called citronella? if so, that plant is magic [​IMG] works wonders! you need a few of them though. front pourch, by the back door. it works though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by