Moss Beach CA - what are the laws regarding roosters?

kd

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Moss Beach, CA
I've been raising 4 very sweet hens since they were 1 week old (2 Americaunas, 1 Buff, 1 brown leghorn). They are now 14 weeks old, and they will snuggle up to me to be held and stroked. Today, though I was hoping it was not so, my brown leghorn crowed! (S)he's a very gentle animal, and will nestle on a roost, or my shoulder or lap, to be petted. Now with the reality that I most likely will need to let him go, I feel that I want to find a way to keep him if possible. The dogs barking in the neighborhood seem far worse offenders to me than a rooster, but perhaps I am very much in the first stages of knowing a rooster and don't realize what's coming...

I'm looking for advice on the legal rules of having a rooster in Moss Beach, CA. We are unincorporated, yet we are part of San Mateo county and may fall under its rules. Also, this is coastal community, so our houses are very close to each other. I'm friendly with many neighbors, but rooster crowing can project quite far? In the end, if I need to give him up - his name is Hoffy - I'd like to find him a happy home and not a soup pot please! Any advice / help is appreciated

House chicken? Especially if you have a well insulated basement (and even more so with an interior basement room, perhaps?)

County rules (if any) will apply. You need to check permitted uses for your zoning. You also need to determine whether there are any HOA or other community covenants.

Back
Top Bottom