Most "Aggressive" batch of chicks I have ever had,maybe because the cockerel has not stepped up his

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTwoRoos, Jul 2, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have had a few batch of chicks,this years chicks are the worst.

they are aggressive and are still pretty young (3 months).they not only pick on eachother,but have threatened me.I have had pullets fight,but these last two batches of chickens seem to fight more when roosters are present.

This years pullets relentless are at each other.Last years chicks had cockerels who had already made it very "Clear" they were the boss.Now this year I have a "Punk" cockerel and aggressive pullets.they pick on one so bad,she is now scared of me...Maybe it's just the breed,or is because my cockerel isn't laying the law down?

Also noticed that the "Dominant" pullet has a comb....keno in mind they are already in a flock forming an order within the flock.

2. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016
    I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but my batch of Ameraucanas is pretty hard to take too. Flighty, aggressive, and I was supposed to have all pullets but I think I see at least two roos.
    I fell for the blue eggs. Something tells me I won't be breeding them next year though.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Your dominant 'pullet' may well be another cockrel, sorry. Some breeds and families are much tougher than others, and it's even more important to have lots of space for them, and places to get away from each other. My oldest chicks are twelve weeks now, and they are very busy, and run around outside all day. The cockrels are starting to crow, and try to mate with the pullets. Most of the boys will be leaving, and some of the pullets, and things will be a lot more peaceful here. If there were injuries, I'd take steps immediately to deal with it! Anyone who threatens me once, and for sure twice, is on the list for freezer camp! Mary

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    I pretty for sure she is a pullet,i'll try posting pics.Nos addle feathers not one thing that is even alike to our other cockerel,a little comb,but no redness in it.

I should also mention,I needed up doing what the dominant hens do to them,peck them on the backs,they will let me pet em now,but say no buddy you cannot pick us up (They realize i'm the boss now.)

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How big is your set up? The more crowded a coop gets the more aggressive the birds. Maybe you added a few too many?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    They free range on 12 acres,sooo,I am sure space isn't the problem.

their scared to be alone.So they take the abuse from each other.....

7. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    They free range on 12 acres,sooo,I am sure space isn't the problem.

their scared to be alone.So they take the abuse from each other.....

8. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    What breeds? Some breed types and individuals are more likely to be difficult, and some are sweeties who are more likely to get picked on. Flock dynamics can be pretty tough, but a very aggressive individual could be isolated nearby for a week or so, and might then move down the pecking order when reintroduced. Mary

9. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    What breeds? Some breed types and individuals are more likely to be difficult, and some are sweeties who are more likely to get picked on. Flock dynamics can be pretty tough, but a very aggressive individual could be isolated nearby for a week or so, and might then move down the pecking order when reintroduced. Mary

10. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    New Hampshire reds and Rhode Island Reds...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by