1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Most Amazing Chicken Story

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FOYBOY, Aug 8, 2008.

1. FOYBOY

FOYBOY New Egg

Aug 8, 2008
    OK maybe not here, but it is pretty incredible and probably you all have experienced this before but we are dumbfounded!

So some time ago I got some silkies from a friend of mine as he told me they will sit on anything. So sure enough our lil blue silkie Jemma started a nest in the tree well, and when it rained we had to take her and nest inside.

The kids took some eggs from our Brahmas and our Rhode Island and put them on the nest and some time later 3 of the 4 eggs hatched.

We waited several days on the 4th egg and came in one morning to find Jemma had pushed it far away from the nest. So I took the egg and placed it in the bottom of a 25lb feed bag and later added some light trash (plastic shavings bags etc) and later on I cleaned out a couple cavy cages of shavings and took the bag and set it outside the shed door. It sat out in the heat advisory weather of 112 degrees and the next day I thought I heard one of the baby peeps chirping in an unusual place and went into shed to check.

Yep all three were there, strange.....so the next day in the evening at dusk i took the bag over to the pigeon pen to dump the shavings on the floor and out pops this lil baby chicken peeping and I screamed cause it took me a few seconds to process what I was seeing.

The lil baby chick had survived two days in the bottom of that bag in the direct sun and heat. He couldnt use one of his legs but I was pretty sure it was due to poor circulation being pinned in the bottom of the bag. We took him inside but Jemma wanted nothing to do with him and of course he thinks I am his mother now, but instead I took one of his siblings and placed it with him overnight in our house.

The next morning I took the two out to Jemma and she accepted them both no problems. He no longer gimps or limps and is now an official chicken!

So I named him appropriately.... Trooper!

I will never be so hasty again, and find it incredible that it hatched after four days of mom not laying on it! The heat mustve been the hatching factor when I placed the bag outside.

Thought you all would enjoy that true story!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Awesome story!

It's amazing how tough on the one hand, and how fragile on the other eggs are.

3. candyd

candyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    Wow, what a story is right. I am so glad the chick is ok.

4. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    Well, I'm gobsmacked! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Wow!! What a tough little chick! I would give that one a strong name.

6. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Wow - Amazing.

"gobsmacked" - I haven't heard that word in a long time. LOL!

7. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    warning the baby dint make it but...

My momma guinea had been setting on eggs untill most of them hatched...Its really hot outside so 3 days late I go back out that night and candle the last three guinea eggs. and dint see anything, so the next morning i got out there to throw the eggs away.. one of them had hatched overnight... I was shocked he was so little. I got so attached to him , he lasted 5 day.. I think he had something wrong internally.. r.i.p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by