Most asked question.....pullet or roo? Need opinions! Heavy Pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DottieMarie, Aug 1, 2008.

1. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    Their all just 7 weeks old, don't know if this is too early to tell but I'm hoping you'll give it a shot. 1 pic of an Isa Brown, I thought all Isa Browns are girls buy why such a red face, she's actually 8 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for any thoughts!!

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm thinking they are all pullets. It's possible that Isa Brown is a roo but I'd think that the comb/wattles would be redder - however, what do I know?

3. elfkin2001

elfkin2001 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas
    I think Buff 4 and Isa are both Roo's. I would say it's possible for Isa to just have a large comb, but I am almost sure Buff 4 is a Roo.

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    They all look like pullets to me, but buff #4 is a little rooish looking...

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    All of them are pullets....

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Isa brown is a sex-link I believe so it should be a girl. I have a BR who had a pretty red face at that age also but she is definitely a pullet.

7. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    I ordered all pullets but for some odd reason, I keep hoping for one roo. I like the cockadoodledoo and I hope with only 1 he wouldn't be too much trouble. I see pullets most of the time but the red faces on a couple, keeps me wondering. Thanks for your input, I'll post more when they are a little older.

If I don't get any boys, can I add a roo if the girls have been a flock for a while? Will a roo be to disruptive? If I am able to add a roo, does he have to be the same age?

Thanks again!

8. ChickenNOOB

ChickenNOOB New Egg

Aug 1, 2008
    Even though i'm a chicken newbie, I think all of them r pullets cause of the combs. Only Isa Brown has a comb and it hasn't started to turn red.

9. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    You got all pullets, BUT I am sure we could find you a roo closeby... LOL [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It's hard to say until they develope their combs and wattles more. I thought at least one of mine was a Roo but at nearly 17 weeks I had an egg from her. I have all my chickens banded so I can keep track of them as they are all RIR's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by